Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   are fox face good for cycling? respond!!!!!!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/fox-face-good-cycling-respond-28129/)

bad kid 08-28-2009 07:36 PM

are fox face good for cycling? respond!!!!!!!!!

are fox face lo rabbit fish good for cycling?

Pasfur 08-29-2009 06:41 AM

No, a Fox Face would not survive a cycle.

Given this question, we need to have a very long conversation. The topic of cycling is not really relevant for a properly set up marine aquarium, which should use a Protein skimmer, live rock, and live sand as the only methods of filtration. In these systems, the live rock will "cycle" the tank in a few short days, resulting in almost no cycling of ammonia or nitrite. The real waiting period is for the system to "mature", which is identified by the growth of coraline algae and populations of copepods and amphipods, as well as the passing of a diatom bloom.

Your question tells us a lot of information, and leads me to believe that you have been given very bad advice at some point in the beginnings of your attempt at the marine hobby.

Can you give us details of your setup, equipment, and plans? Pictures would be great.

berkdug 08-31-2009 04:46 PM

what should you do if a brittle starfish came in as a live rock hitch-hiker in a new tank? it was just discovered after a week of the cycling process. a few snails also appeared on the rock and around the sand.

racingtiger03 08-31-2009 05:54 PM

I don't know about a starfish.. Typically they dont take too well to sudden/constant changes. I didn't add my sand star until after the diatom bloom. but maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter can chime in for you.

zachhay11 08-31-2009 10:29 PM

hate to ask a stupid question but whats a diatom bloom? DX

Pasfur 09-01-2009 05:58 AM

As to the starfish.... have you been testing ammonia and nitrite? What are the results?

A diatom bloom happens in nearly every new aquarium within the first 4 to 8 weeks. A thin layer of brown algae covers the sand and live rock. As the system matures, the diatom recedes, and is followed by the growth of coraline algae, assuming the correct environment has been created.

abfisher 09-01-2009 11:49 AM

Good info. Thanks

zachhay11 09-01-2009 12:52 PM

ah hah! so thats what that stuff is its been all over my sand and rock! so in a few months this should turn to coraline algea?

Pasfur 09-01-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachhay11 (Post 236662)
ah hah! so thats what that stuff is its been all over my sand and rock! so in a few months this should turn to coraline algea?

The diatom will die off and be replaced by coraline algae growth, provided you are monitoring your alkalinity and calcium levels.

zachhay11 09-01-2009 08:22 PM

sweet:) glad things are going right i thought something was wrong. anyway like i said i need more test equipment, are the strip versions as good as the regular stuff? also do i need to test calcium its just gonna be hardy fish right now. inverts after the tank matures and no corals