Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Newly hatched Brine Shrimp (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/newly-hatched-brine-shrimp-28111/)

SubAtomicScope 08-28-2009 09:26 AM

Newly hatched Brine Shrimp

I recently bought some Brine Shrimp eggs to feed to my uppy and Platy fry, and have had no problems hatching them out. I used the smallest possible net I could get, actually it is a really fine netted tea strainer, to try and catch some of the newly hatched shrimp (sea-monkey..LOL) things but it did not seem to catch many. I dont think I will be able to buy a shrimp sieve anywhere near where I live, so what everyday item could I use that might work a little better?

Evan 08-28-2009 12:15 PM

what you need is a small strainer 4-5 inches and reguler coffee filters. nets I have never had work its a pain to see all the orange at the bottom of the bbs cont. and suck them out to find nothing in the net:cry:. I always check mine after 12-15hrs in the hatching cont. that way they are smaller and have a much more nutrion value for the fry. they package says 24 hrs to check them but I would do it sooner.and recheck again in another 6 hrs or so and feed them again with the same hatch. pm with any questions you have I can show you how mine is setup and it may help. Evan

catfishtabbi 08-29-2009 11:51 AM

I've heard of people using a turkey baster to get them out fo the bottom.

Evan 08-29-2009 06:55 PM

yes that is what I use myself. I shut the air off and shine a bright light at the bottom and wait 5mins and hold the baster about 1/2 inch off bottom and suck em up.

MXS 08-29-2009 07:11 PM

I heard a syringe and tubing works well

SubAtomicScope 08-30-2009 02:10 PM

I am trying the coffee filter paper in a funnel...seems to be working really well...little fry seemed to almost explode they ate so much...LOL
Thank to everyone for their input.

MonsiuerPercy1 08-30-2009 02:53 PM

Hmm I am thinking about hatching some Brine Shrimp for the same purpose. Was it tough to do?

Evan 08-30-2009 06:37 PM

it is very simple you just ahve to keep ypour equipment spotless and clean them daily with very hot water and a little bleach becasue bacteria is a big problem if you dont and always use new water every batch. some people ruse it but its better to be save than sorry its cheap insurance

SubAtomicScope 08-31-2009 01:56 AM

It works better when your Cats dont knock the container over because the bubbles are iritataing it, as I found out last night...damn cats...LOL

MonsiuerPercy1 09-05-2009 08:45 AM

Ah that is a helpful hint. Cats get in to everything. Somehow my cat can get up on top of my 55 gallon tank which is on top of a large wooden stand. The only place she could jump from is either a window ledge 6 feet away or a bookcase. It is truly incredible.