Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   moving white dots on the glass? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/moving-white-dots-glass-28108/)

redlessi 08-28-2009 07:55 AM

moving white dots on the glass?

This morning while doing a head count for the fry, I noticed what looked like a little white dot moving on the glass? I really could not tell if it was really something alive or maybe an air bubble from the filter? Any idea what it could be????

Fishin Pole 08-28-2009 08:01 AM

Did you add any live plants recently?..............Hard to say without a pic, but maybe you had snails eggs hitch hike in on a new plant?..........Do you only see one, or is there quite a few of them?

redlessi 08-28-2009 08:17 AM

Was not able to get a picture, it was on the glass in back of all the plastic plants that I have in the tank for the fry. It was so tiny and moved so fast that I really could not tell if it was just air or something moving. I will look again closely when I get home from work. It did not look like eggs as it moved ( almost like it darted from one place to another).... Sorry if I am not explaining it good enough. Again, I will check when I get home.

Thanks again

Fishin Pole 08-28-2009 08:52 AM

if its moving fast, then its not a snail of any kind........Might be some type of copepod..................no need to be worried if thats what it is..........the fish in your tank will find them as a tasty snack!............How are your fry doing?

redlessi 08-28-2009 09:23 AM

What is a copepod?? My fry are doing great, I finally saw them eating yesterday. They are so cute!!!!
The other fish are not constantly stalking them so hopefully they will make it.

aunt kymmie 08-28-2009 09:27 AM

Basically, freshwater copepods are freshwater plankton.

redlessi 08-28-2009 09:41 AM

Are they harmful, are they caused by something I did wrong, will the fish eat them, do they populate? sorry for so many quesitons but I looked it up and did not find much info.

Thanks much

Fishin Pole 08-28-2009 10:21 AM

If what your seeing in your tank is a copepod, they are harmless to your fish and will be eaten by your fish as a snack......From what i read about them, if you have them in your tank, its a sign of good water quality and its nothing to be concerned about

redlessi 08-28-2009 06:07 PM

Ok, so I just spent at least 30 minutes staring at the tank and of course I did not see the white thing again. It does look like I have more fry than I thought more like 6-8. I initially thought it was 4-5. I cant get over how cute they are!!!!

I will do my routing partial water change tomorrow and make sure to get a good luck at the glass....

Thanks again.

Lupin 09-02-2009 04:58 AM

I can't see copepods moving on the glass. What I am thinking here is limpet.