Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Update on 10gal nano (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/update-10gal-nano-280866/)

NewFishFiend 10-05-2013 03:37 PM

Update on 10gal nano

1 Attachment(s)
You guys will not believe my progression. The tank, so far is doin amazing! Nevermind the abundance of corraline that i cant get off the front glass ( how did i get so lucky to have corraline within 3 months of starting). Im loving this hobby!

willow 10-05-2013 04:22 PM

looking great.
what will you do about the front glass ?

badxgillen 10-05-2013 04:25 PM

Is that a black percula I see?

NewFishFiend 10-05-2013 04:59 PM

Yes that is a black percula. His name is percy, but my 2 year old insists on calling him "emo" lol. As far as the coralline goes, ill let it grow and then scrape it when u cant see much else lol. Im a pretty big fan of letting things just kind of handle themselves. I dont get bent out of shape about the different types of things growing in my tank unless i know its detrimental ( aka aiptasia). Most of it is self limiting and i find the different seaweeds ( for lack of different terms) keeps my nitrates and phosphates at 0 and my corals happy.

wake49 10-09-2013 06:31 AM

I always used a Mag-Float glass cleaner and dragged it across the glass religiously to stop the growth of coraline. Otherwise, when it gets to the state that it is in your tank, I use a razor or hard plastic scraper.

bunnysaur 10-22-2013 08:27 PM

Could I get a little more background info on this tank (filter, lighting, etc)? If there's a thread about reef tanks this tiny, could someone direct me to it? I'm about to have an open 10gal aquarium and I've always thought about doing something like this.

badxgillen 10-22-2013 09:21 PM

Post up a thread of your own and get some ideas and recommendations from the rest of the gang. I love nice nanos :-D

NewFishFiend 11-18-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnysaur (Post 3264906)
Could I get a little more background info on this tank (filter, lighting, etc)? If there's a thread about reef tanks this tiny, could someone direct me to it? I'm about to have an open 10gal aquarium and I've always thought about doing something like this.

Dang, i just saw this! Here's the deal with this tank: i started with 9.5lbs of live rock, 20lbs of live sand, have a hob skimmer, use t5ho lighting with some LED accents ( all my corals are growing nicely under these), have 3 powerheads ( i started with 2 but noticed a dead spot that started getting cyano so i place another ph, prolly overkill but so what), and use a cobalt heater. I used fluval salt mix and mix my own salt up using ro/di water. I do a 1-2 gallon water change weekly. Still end up dosing calcium and sometimes alk because my corals use soooo much. My duncan seems to grow a new head daily. I also use a jbj auto topoff. The thing with nanos is that if u arent religious and meticulous with ur tank care, it can quickly crash on u. U wouldnt believe how much evaporation takes place daily! That's why i ended up buying the ato. Even small amounts of evap can cause dangerous salinity shifts. I love my nano tank tho. I will warn u, smaller does not equal cheaper.

NewFishFiend 11-18-2013 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, here's a shot of the tank today. I was given a bird's nest from my lfs to see if i could sustain sps corals. Its at the very top of the tank. I now have a duncan, candy cane, 2 zoa colonies, gsp, birds nest, christmas favia, and ricordaea florida. All are doing well. Currently im battling some bryopsis that had tried desperately to overtake my candy cane. Ive been trying out the increased mag levels to kill the bryopsis. Only on the 3rd day of that.

badxgillen 11-19-2013 12:01 AM

What color of birds nest did you get? Good old bryopsis,I have some in a tank of mine.I need a sea hare.