Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Micro Bubbles in the Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/micro-bubbles-tank-28065/)

HardCory 08-27-2009 09:29 AM

Micro Bubbles in the Tank

To make this short and sweet, my skimmer is in my sump and the pump is somehow "leaking" bubbles so tha my return pump for the tank is shooting them into the tank; giving me a sort of cloudy look. I've put a hose clamp on it but it's not working. Any ideas what I can do? I just need something to stop the bubbles or at the very least, stop the from reaching my return pump.

tales 08-31-2009 03:46 PM

Can you post pics of your sump? do you have dividers in the sump?

HardCory 09-01-2009 03:07 PM

I can't do pics because all I have is my cell phone is a camera and ou can't see anything. My sump doesn't have any dividers. I was thinking of trying to DIY baffles but I'm pretty sure I don't have the room.

racingtiger03 09-05-2009 12:39 AM

Did you ever figure out a way to get the skimmer to stop shooting out the bubbles? I just got a coral life for up to 65 gallons and mine is spitting out some too. Not nearly as bad as the skilter was.. but its still annoying. Mine is also in tank though.

Pasfur 09-05-2009 05:44 AM

I have this same problem in my 54 reef. As a solution, I run the output of the skimmer over top of a small stack of live rock. The rock breaks up the bubbles and has completely eliminated the issue.

If this is a fish only tank, you could also place a small basket full of filter floss under the skimmer outlet. Just be sure to clean the floss several times per week. In a reef, this is not a practical solution due to the phosphates that would likely result from the use of mechanical filter pads.

racingtiger03 09-05-2009 11:22 AM

ah, so that isn't a good idea? The coral life skimmer came with a basket that already had this in it. It was still allowing some to escape into my tank and as you said I have noticed the LR near the skimmer is breaking it up nicely. So In theory I could remove the basket and run a tube under the base of my LR to berak up the bubbles? Or woudl the long tube lower the efficiency of the skimmer? Any pictures of how you have your skimmer output setup pasfur? .. I'm forseeing a sump in my future to decluter the main tank lol.

HardCory 09-05-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racingtiger03 (Post 238504)
Did you ever figure out a way to get the skimmer to stop shooting out the bubbles? I just got a coral life for up to 65 gallons and mine is spitting out some too. Not nearly as bad as the skilter was.. but its still annoying. Mine is also in tank though.

To be honest...no. I tried a hose clamp and it still did it. ut then one day...TADA! No more micro bubbles in the tank! I have no idea what happened. But I still LIke the idea of aiming the output at some rocks if it happenes again. I just don't want to lose circulation.