Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Animal Cruelty - Got a fish for my birthday! The poor little thing (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/animal-cruelty-got-fish-my-birthday-28048/)

Tempy 08-26-2009 08:52 PM

Animal Cruelty - Got a fish for my birthday! The poor little thing

Okay so I turned 20 last month.

For my birthday my best friend brought round a Siamese Fighting Fish for my present.

I thought that was nice.

This is the bit that is not nice......

So the fish bowl she gave me is like 10 centimetres in diameter. So Tiny.

I know that they can survive in Puddles and shoe prints in Thailand. The pet stores keep telling me that.

Just because they can survive like that doesn't mean that they enjoy it!

The second (and more cruel) thing is that she was told i would need to keep it in the warmest part of my house.

The problem...my house is always so cold.

I work from 9-5 so I am never really home to have the heater on.

My fish is supposed to be at 17 degrees to 28 degrees. In reality, it is probably just over 10 degrees!

I think my lil fishy is freezing.

I am at work now and left a light globe on over it to try and heat the bowl up. I think he likes that. I am scared my place will be on fire when I get home.

I have also been feeding it dried bloodworm's.

It ate some on the first day i got him but not on the second day (yesterday). I hope he has eaten by the time I get home.

Lastly, I know this was supposed to be a present but it has been causing me hell as I am so worried about it.

Could someone please have a chat with me about this as I am so worried.

Also, I know I will end up spending money on this fishy (so not fair, I am so broke as it is)!!!!

Tempy 08-26-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempy (Post 233850)
Okay so I turned 20 last month.

For my birthday my best friend brought round a Siamese Fighting Fish for my present.

I thought that was nice.

This is the bit that is not nice......

So the fish bowl she gave me is like 10 centimetres in diameter. So Tiny.

I know that they can survive in Puddles and shoe prints in Thailand. The pet stores keep telling me that.

Just because they can survive like that doesn't mean that they enjoy it!

The second (and more cruel) thing is that she was told i would need to keep it in the warmest part of my house.

The problem...my house is always so cold.

I work from 9-5 so I am never really home to have the heater on.

My fish is supposed to be at 17 degrees to 28 degrees. In reality, it is probably just over 10 degrees!

I think my lil fishy is freezing.

I am at work now and left a light globe on over it to try and heat the bowl up. I think he likes that. I am scared my place will be on fire when I get home.

I have also been feeding it dried bloodworm's.

It ate some on the first day i got him but not on the second day (yesterday). I hope he has eaten by the time I get home.

Lastly, I know this was supposed to be a present but it has been causing me hell as I am so worried about it.

Could someone please have a chat with me about this as I am so worried.

Also, I know I will end up spending money on this fishy (so not fair, I am so broke as it is)!!!!

Someone help me please!!!

veganchick 08-26-2009 09:00 PM

I would suggest that you purchase a small (2.5) tank with a light on it that will heat up the bettas water while you are are gone. Bettas can survive in small tanks, but they can't THRIVE or be reallt happy in them. The smallest tank I would reccomend for a betta is 2 gallons. make sure that the top if his tank/bowl is covered because bettas are known to jump out of their tanks. If you are going to keep the betta in that small of a tank, please change his water every day!

DragonFish 08-26-2009 09:22 PM

I'd consider myself new to bettas, however I'd be happy to share what I've learned and try to help. :-) Others, feel free to correct me.

First of, welcome to the forum :-) Yes, I'm afraid you will need to spend a little more money if you wish for your little friend to truly be happy....that bowl is indeed much too small. Also, to my understanding, the myth that they live in puddles and shoe prints is just that...a myth. I do believe there is a thread about that somewhere around here...
Ha! Here! http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...ive-tiny-8923/
Most here recommend 2.5 US gallons(9 liters?) per Betta, though the larger the better and the easier to maintain.

Yes, Bettas are tropical fish and need a stable temperature of around 26-27. So a heater is something you will also need to purchase, along with a thermometer to monitor the temp.

As for feeding, go get yourself some Betta pellets. Bloodworms should only be fed once per week as a treat. Its recommended 2-3 pellets per feeding twice daily with a day of fasting. I feed mine 2 pellets in the morning, 3 at night, substitute the evening feeding with bloodworms or brine shrimp once weekly, and fast them on Sundays.
To my understanding this feeding method is because bettas are prone to bloat, perhaps I'm wrong but thats just what I've derived from it...

I hope this helps! :-)

Twistersmom 08-26-2009 09:28 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have found my bettas to enjoy their swimming room. I understand the lack of money to invest. You can keep an eye out on Craiglist. I often see complete 10 gal setups for dirt cheap.

Tempy 08-26-2009 09:51 PM

Thank you guys!

Thank you guys so much for your prompt responses!

Thank god for the internet!

Where else would i so easily find a whole place and group of people to help me with my fishy questions??

Pretty cool hey.

But yeah... I will definately buy some proper fish food for him straight after work.

I will clean his water too, I wanted to leave him alone for a while so he had some time to get used to his new tank....but maybe not a good idea.

I dont have a lid on him.... I'll have to sort that out too.

I suppose I will have to invest in a bigger tank (this is a horrible birthday present lol)

So, What is Craiglist?

Twistersmom 08-26-2009 10:13 PM

craigslist: dayton / springfield classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events This will get you started, you will want to change the setting to do a local search in your area.

Bluntokian 08-26-2009 10:36 PM

o and dont forget to declorinate ur water (i know i spelled that wrong...sorry)

Mikaila31 08-27-2009 12:11 AM

I think Craigslist is just a US thing...... Look for cheap tanks in the paper, garage sales, second hand stores, ect. If you are on a major budget, any large container with clear sides will work.

Tempy 08-27-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 233933)
I think Craigslist is just a US thing...... Look for cheap tanks in the paper, garage sales, second hand stores, etc. If you are on a major budget, any large container with clear sides will work.

yeah i ended up finding the website but I there was nothing in Melbourne, Australia.

I had a look in the trading post (Australian newspaper) with no luck.

I ended up calling this aquarium, they said they can do a tank

12 inch x 8 inch x 8 inch

I know that is not great but it is a lot bigger than where he is now.

Plus, it is only $20.00 so i can afford it.

The heater is $45.00 so I am not very happy about that :(

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Thank you guys so much - I think I will be logging on quite frequently within the next couple of months!