Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   My 55 gal Axolotl tank!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/my-55-gal-axolotl-tank-280186/)

dylanmegyptian 10-04-2013 12:51 PM

My 55 gal Axolotl tank!!

19 Attachment(s)
Here is my 55 gal Axolotl tank!!

Mates:
1x Axolotl
8x Japanese Trapdoor snails
4x Chinese alage eaters

Feeders:
Ghost shrimp
Guppies
Rosey Red Minnows
Goldfish

Plants:
2X Red Mangroves
2x Sword
2X anuibas
2x octopus
Duckweed

Setup:
2x fluval HOB 50
2x 18" Zoomed Flora sun T8

rexpepper651 10-04-2013 01:57 PM

thats awesome! your lil badass buddy doesnt eat the fish?!

Agent13 10-04-2013 02:11 PM

OMG he's so cute! Is that tank big enough for him though? Either way this is the coolest "fish" I've seen in a while on here.

dylanmegyptian 10-04-2013 06:54 PM

Yea she deffinently eats them that's why i have them listed as "feeders" lol and I also feed her meal worms on the side as tretas.

And yes the tank is big enough, according to care sheets you can put one axolotl per 10 gallons, but I think it os cruel to keep a critter that gets 12" in a 10 gal tank. So technically i could have 4-5 in that tank, but they're cannibalistic and i found out the hard way and she ate 2 other salamaders I had in there with her.

Agent13 10-04-2013 09:00 PM

so cool! Now I want one.. Makes sense. Kinda like dragon requirements but underwater.

Chesh 11-05-2013 06:03 PM

Please! More! Pics!
*dies from cuteness*

zombieaddict 11-16-2013 02:31 PM

Omg I love it! I want an Axolotl so much but I don't know if one would do too well in my tank. But I would like to add to the comment about them being cannibalistic. They only become cannibalistic if they're housed together as juveniles. Left together, they will inevitably go after one another's limbs and once a juvie has been cannibalized, it becomes aggressive to all other axolotl it meets. If the juveniles are housed individually until they outgrow this cannibalistic tendency, then they can be housed with others who have also been protected from youthful bullying. The best axolotl breeders will tell you this because they actually put forth the effort to raise stock that will be happy and healthy when they're adults. Unfortunately many breeders just tell you that they're all cannibalistic when in reality they're just too lame to raise their stock properly.

Soyuki 11-16-2013 10:46 PM

Very awesome set up. I would love a axolotl but don't have the space for a tank. Totally agree that they do best in bigger tanks.

rsskylight04 11-17-2013 01:31 AM

very cool

Beautiful animal, and I love your plants...very nice

dylanmegyptian 08-28-2014 12:04 PM

So i have the weirdest story......well about 3 months ago my axie decided to be a cool kid a lose her gill and become an actual land dwelling salamander and that log i have in the tank i let float to the top so she can breath. Yesterday i came back home from work to find that sally is not in her tank so i was frantically looking around the floor underneath cabinets and nooks and craines around the house but she was still MIA. and then it hit me, i was doing some work on my backyard door frame and there is about a 2" between the door and the floor. So i wonder if thats where she escaped to???