Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need better filtering (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-better-filtering-28012/)

fredandfred 08-26-2009 08:07 AM

Need better filtering

I have a 110 gal. xtra high that is now fresh. I have added several fish but my current filtering just doesn't seem to be getting the job done. I am using 2 Penquin 350's but my water gets dirty quite fast. I also don't think I'm getting much out of the bottom of the tank since it is so tall. What would be my best option on increasing my filtering? Thought of a cannister but not sure.

fredandfred 08-26-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredandfred (Post 233552)
I have a 110 gal. xtra high that is now fresh. I have added several fish but my current filtering just doesn't seem to be getting the job done. I am using 2 Penquin 350's but my water gets dirty quite fast. I also don't think I'm getting much out of the bottom of the tank since it is so tall. What would be my best option on increasing my filtering? Thought of a cannister but not sure.

Let me add that if I went with a canister would one like an FX5 be sufficient or would a 2 of a smaller size be better? My worry is a smaller one would not have the water lifting power I need since this tank is so tall.

Tyyrlym 08-26-2009 12:29 PM

How tall are we talking? Also what kind of dirty?

As much as I like HoBs I have to admit with an especially deep tank they often don't have pickups long enough to pull from the bottom and get good circulation going. An extension tube could help.

If you are looking for a canister I'd say go with a single larger unit. They are designed with large tanks in mind and so long as you're not mounting the tank high and the filter in the basement it should be able to handle the lift duties just fine.

fredandfred 08-27-2009 02:16 PM

The tank itself is about 33" high not counting the base. When I say dirty it is cloudy and just a bit green. I can do a water change an in a few days it's nasty looking again.

Angel079 08-27-2009 02:45 PM

For my large tanks, I had a LOT filters till I found what made me happy (and my fish) and decreased my work load on them by many many hrs....Eheim!!!!! And I won't ever even bother with something else again, even for my small 55g one's.

Yea sounds like your current filter ain't pumping enough to keep it clean.

Tyyrlym 08-28-2009 10:05 AM

Two separate issues sounds like. Well, sort of separate.

The first is junk suspended in the water. This is likely do to issues in mechanical filtration. You simply don't have the flow in the tank to make sure the filter has the chance to suck everything in and trap it. With a 33" deep tank I'm betting the end of the HoB only makes it to about halfway down the tank huh? Yeah, not good for flow. Also, how much do you feel them? Over feeding will put a lot more suspended solids in the water.

The second issue is the green water. This is an algae bloom. Remember, this isn't a problem but a symptom of a problem. Something in your aquarium is out of balance. More than likely you've got high nitrates and the algae is feeding off it. If there's a lot of stuff suspended in the water then all the gunk is decomposing releasing nitrogenous substances into the water. Don't buy the treatments for green water and at this point I wouldn't even do a blackout. If you sort out the gunk issue the algae will likely sort itself out without you having to do anything.

So really what you need is a filter that will pull from the bottom of the aquarium and return to the top. A canister is probably your best bet here. Enheim is a great brand, sort of the Cadillac of canisters. That said I'm strictly a HoB guy so I have no direct experience with them.