Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Bekah's (way more than) $15 investment (finally!!!)

39K views 472 replies 23 participants last post by  FishyFishy89 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
(update at the bottom of this post!)

SO I got myself a new tank today. 55 gallons, and currently it's sitting on the back porch. I'M SO EXCITED!!! I spent a whopping $15 on it at Goodwill. It was marked as $30, but the guy I talked to was concerned about this.

the weird thing is that that, right there, you touch it and it doesn't feel like a crack, just like smooth glass, mirror solid surface. Inside, it just looks like a regular old seam, the weird crack thing doesn't seem to go all the way through. SO, I took it, and I'll be leak testing and possibly be resealing.

SO!!! I'm Sooooo excited. I've been talking about this tank since sunday, and I'm absolutely ecstatic it was still there for me to get today. I've got some ideas for stocking, and how i'll set it up with filters and such. Lighting is up in the air, not sure how that will turn out. but basically: EEEEEE!!!!!!!

*****UPDATE 1/16/2014*****

As many of you know, this original endeavor did not turn out the way I had hoped. But never fear! Good things happen to those who wait :)

Those of you who are NEW to the thread, or want to see why it didn't work out may want to read the whole thing anyways, but if you're like me and want to skip to the good part, you can find that here.

I hope you enjoy the read, and can get excited with me as I *FINALLY* get this show on the road!

**~**Bekah**~**

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys!!!
I'm thinking that i'll keep all my 29 gallon community fish in there, which would be:
1 angelfish
8 cories
1bristlenose pleco
miscellaneous fish (two bettas, two swordtails, and a danio until they die)

then in addition to them
2-4 pearl gourami
4-6 rams
8-12 loaches
another small pleco
A school or two of smaller fish

Might aldo bump up my cory shoal. i also don't plan on replacing my angelfish when he dies.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
What an awesome deal!

OT: but... Can I ask how the one angelfish gets along with your other fish? I keep hearing conflicting responses between having one or having a lot as to which is best.

Anyway.. I can't wait to see what you do with your 55!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
The only reason i have only one is because his mate died. if i had the choice, i wouldn't keep less than five, but since he's old, i don't want to risk adding other younger angels. schooling fish need schools to really be happy imo

so i put a little water in the tank because i had decided i wanted to leak test it before i did anything else. didn't even fill halfway when i noticed the bottom seams seemed to be leaking. going to clean it up and seal today. HOPING HOPING HOPING it works out.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I hope it works out too! What a steal!

#16 ·
Did you pull it out on purpose? You know you only have to pull/scrape out the visible silicone right? Not the silicone inbetween the panes....

#24 ·
Messy silicone I dont care about xD

You can see I was a bit messy with mine. I had my hubby to help me, so it was a bit less messy than it could of been.

#26 ·
My exact thought too
Too much work for the tape in order to make it neat/tidy. Guy on the video put the tape on so fast that it looked so easy.

Later on, I read of people getting their silicone job messed up when peeling off the tape after the silicone dried a bit.

#27 ·
well then my laziness hopefully pays off ;)

SO. I thought I'd start putting together a list of the things I'd like to buy for my tank, in a nice convenient place for you all to see in time for my birthday October 30th ;) JK. I just want it all in one spot, for my ease, and for you guys to weigh in!

Filtration:
2 x Hydro Pro V filters
2 x Penguin 550 powerheads
(Amazon.com: Marineland PH0550 Penguin Power Head 550, 145GPH: Pet Supplies)

i'll put a filter setup at each end of the tank

Heating:
decided on 250 watt adjustable submersible
(). i don't mind hang on side heaters for my little tanks, but in a bigger tank this seems better

Hood/Top/Lighting:
I have....NO idea what I'll do here. So this will be up in the air for now.

I also need:
plywood to expand my stand/cupboard
black paint for the back
play sand

#93 ·
Filtration:
2 x Hydro Pro V filters
2 x Penguin 550 powerheads
(Amazon.com: Marineland PH0550 Penguin Power Head 550, 145GPH: Pet Supplies)

i'll put a filter setup at each end of the tank

Heating:
decided on 250 watt adjustable submersible
(Amazon.com: Aquatop GH250 Aquarium Submersible Glass Heater, 250-Watt: Pet Supplies). i don't mind hang on side heaters for my little tanks, but in a bigger tank this seems better

Hood/Top/Lighting:
I have....NO idea what I'll do here. So this will be up in the air for now.

I also need:
plywood to expand my stand/cupboard
black paint for the back
play sand
also, here's my potential stock idea

just remembered!! on my shopping list post, i should have added a few more bits of driftwood.

eta: more ideas....

i tend to over stock. i trust myself with maintenance and definitely wont be doing the add all in one day thing :D
Just wanted to quote these and look at them again. lol. So its not buried!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.