Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   treating ich (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/treating-ich-27985/)

zachhay11 08-25-2009 05:34 PM

treating ich

ok so my domino damsel got ich. he has had some white dots on him and has been scratching against the glass and sand. so i got a bottle of "nox-ich" and it says 2 drops per gallon. so i turned up my heat and added roughly around 130 drops. any way it did turn my water blue for a few hours which i was told was supposed to happen but it told me to remove my activated carbon stuff from my filter, which i did, but now my protein skimmer is pulling out bubbles and fluids that have a blueish colour to them. is this normal or should i turn off my skimmer? also, all i have in there is one hardy damsel so should i lower my dose?

Pasfur 08-27-2009 08:06 PM

I would stop treating altogether. I have never found an effective chemical treatment for ich, and yes I have used Nox Ich on many occasions. Quick Cure is more effective on marine species, but still leaves a lot to be desired, as does copper treatment.

My approach is to feed a garlic supplement daily, lower salinity if live rock is not present, and allow the fish to naturally fight off the infection.

zachhay11 08-30-2009 05:33 PM

your right, the medication did more harm then help. i added it(probably to much of it its hard to dose) then gave it some time, came back and found him dead. i guess a combonation of ich, bad treetments, a nitrite spike, and the stress of being new is to much for even a damsel. well anyway i'm guessing the ich is gone since i treated it already so i then put the carbon pad back in, turned on the skimmer and gave it a few days, i then tested it, ammonia is gone but nitrites are up(i'm cycling) and everything else seemed fine so i bought a cheep blue damsel and now i'm gonna see what happens. he's doing well and eating well so far. anyway for the future can you elaberate on the garlic supplement?

Pasfur 09-02-2009 08:03 PM

I will be very surprised if ich does not present itself again. I would not consider any treatment successful until the aquarium goes 90 days without seeing any signs of the parasite.

I feed foods supplement with garlic. My favorite is Formula Two Marine Pellet by Ocean Nutrition. I have had very good success, repeated over a number of situations, in using this food to help fish fight off signs of ich. At this point in my fishkeeping life, I feed this food every morning and night, in addition to the normal feeding routine.

zachhay11 09-07-2009 06:07 PM

will it evetually run its course? it will just die off without a host right? and i think if i feed him a garlic supplement they will stay off my one fish if i feed him right?

Pasfur 09-09-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachhay11 (Post 239846)
will it evetually run its course? it will just die off without a host right? and i think if i feed him a garlic supplement they will stay off my one fish if i feed him right?

Ich is a very controversial subject and you will get a lot of different opinions, even from the "experts". That being said, I agree with your statements above and would handle my aquariums accordingly.