Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Aquaripure (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquaripure/)
-   -   New setup on existing tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquaripure/new-setup-existing-tank-27977/)

KeithBNimble 08-25-2009 02:19 PM

New setup on existing tank

Hello

I have a 165 gallon freshwater tank. There are no plants in my tank and I keep primarily angel fish that I feed up to 3x a day. My filtration is a canister filter, Rena XP4.

My nitrates are around 30mg/l and I am thinking of getting the aquaripure. My question is:
1. Once I install the large filter do I at any point need to shut off and remove my Rena filter?
2. If yes to 1. then how long do I wait till I shut off my filter?
3. Do I EVER need to clean out the aquaripure filter?
4. I have a coarse sponge in the tank before the water goes down to where the filter will sit, do I need to remove that pre-filter sponge?
5. If the aquaripure needs to have the drip rate checked every 2 days or so, what should I expect when I go on vacation for 2 weeks?

Overall it looks like a very interesting product.

Thank you
Keith

KeithBNimble 08-26-2009 01:31 PM

Another question

Based on your website I should get the Large model. What would happen if I got the XLarge? Will this cause a sulfer smell, or any other negative effects?

Thanks
Keith

Aquaripure 08-31-2009 10:56 AM

Keith

1) I would keep the Rena filter but replace any biological filtration with any large pore sponge type media you can find at any local fish store. Clean the sponge media regularly.

2) n/a

3) You never need to open the filter or clean the inside of the Aquaripure. At the most you may occasionally need to rinse off the outflow valve and tubing.

4) No, those course sponges are great ... just rinse them out regularly or they will become nitrate factories.

5) No worries! Just set it when you leave and resume when you get back. It might not be working 100% while you are gone but it will work some and it will quickly get back to 100%.

6) You really want to go with my recommendation for the most part. Yes, odor is possible with an oversized filter because it will break down nitrates too quickly and then move on to sulfates. If a customer does get an oversized filter then I recommend they contact me with the details of their tank to obtain modified instructions. Usually this involves setting the flow rate slower and injecting less nutrient than recommended for the larger filter. The Large Aquaripure will equal up to a 90 gallon weekly water change. The XL will equal up to a 130 gallon weekly water change. You want to go with the smallest unit that will comfortably get you to zero nitrates.

KeithBNimble 08-31-2009 04:38 PM

Is there a manual available either electronically or on line that I can view? This way I can read about the operation and the process of cleaning the valve and tubing.

Also if I get an oversize one shouldn't I just be able to increase the outflow so that the water spends less time in the filter?

Keith

Aquaripure 08-31-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBNimble (Post 236166)
Is there a manual available either electronically or on line that I can view? This way I can read about the operation and the process of cleaning the valve and tubing.

Also if I get an oversize one shouldn't I just be able to increase the outflow so that the water spends less time in the filter?

Keith

I don't have the manuals online yet although I am working on it. Everything in the manual is on the website but the website has a lot of additional information and is organized differently. I will send you a pdf file to the e-mail you sent me.

The info on cleaning the valve is also on the Troubleshooting FAQ webpage which can be accessed from the Contact page.

Balancing the parameters of any slow flow nitrate filter with the tank involves several variables. With an oversize Aquaripure there can be a possiblity of too much nutrient and too many bacteria escaping into the tank. This is why I normally recommend setting the flow rate slower and injecting less nutrient. If any odor becomes noticable in the room then I recommend increasing the flow rate but keeping nutrient the same lower level.

With a slow flow biological filter there must be a balance between the aquarium, the flow rate, the internal surface area, and the nutrient. I base my recommendations based upon what works best for the vast majority of people. Occasionally people get better results if they inject less nutrient or maybe set the flow rate faster. When you knowingly start out by changing one of the variables by getting an oversized filter then it might just take a little more effort to find the correct balance

The Aquaripure is very robust. Normally people do not have any problems with the standard directions. If there are any challenges then it is normally easily solved by a couple of e-mails to me or a phone call.