Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Penguin Bio Wheel Filter problem (question) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/penguin-bio-wheel-filter-problem-question-27952/)

brettxw 08-24-2009 11:15 PM

Penguin Bio Wheel Filter problem (question)

Hi guys, first time posting a question regarding a filter problem so I apologize for the not knowing much attitude haha.

Anyways, I have a penguin bio wheel water filter. I believe its for up to 50 gallons as my tank is a 30 gallon. I recently did a gravel vacuum and 50% water change but while doing that I noticed that the bio wheel is not spinning as fast as it used to. Its actually spinning very very slow to the point where it does not spin at all. Water still comes through just not with the filter spinning. If I pour water into the "filter casing?" the wheel will spin faster. I did notice that the filter in the back, the squared filter was pretty damn dirty. I cleaned it as much as I could thinking that was the problem, however when put back in the wheel spun for a bit then slowly slowed down and has kept that "slow" speed.

So my question is, what could be causing this? Do I have to or better yet, SHOULD I replace that square filter in the back?

First Sergeant 08-25-2009 02:46 PM

I had the same problem and found that the input to the propeller was clogged with algae. A quick swipe with my little finger while it was running and the flow returned to normal with the bio-wheel spinning like new.

Hope this helps.

Romad 08-25-2009 03:30 PM

i had the same problem & according to my lfs, that's normal once the wheel becomes saturated and has a good build up of the bacteria.

it doesn't affect the filtration at all - its only real job is to house the good bacteria (which is why you never replace it unless it becomes damaged).

try cleaning the edges of the bio wheel and the two spots where it sits on the filter. those spots can get pretty gunky.

other than that - dont' worry about it.

Tyyrlym 08-26-2009 11:10 AM

Wipe down the bio wheels bearings, axle, and the compartment in which it sits to get rid of the algae and gunk build up. Do not scrub the actual gray pleated material of the wheel itself. Don't worry too much about the speed at which the wheel spins. So long as it turns and none of the pleats are drying out its fine. This is normal bio-wheel behavior.

Teammuir1 09-16-2009 08:31 PM

Water level

Here is what I have seen..
he stated that while he was doing a 50% water change he
noticed that the bio wheel stopped moving.
that was prolly due to the level of the water in the tank....
while the level of the water is low its a stain on the impeller and slows
down. thus the flow will slow as well..
Now if he filled back to the correct level as he started and it still has the problem
then I would say it is dirty...
this has happened to me ( thats how I know )
thanks
Ron

pelon_mx 09-17-2009 01:15 AM

Last month I started a used Pinguin Bio-wheel 300 filter after5 year of inactivity and had the same problems,I had the same problem, none of the wheels were turning, I cleaned the axles and lubricated the small plactic bearing with a very small drop of silicon lubricant, actually the silicon I used they normally use it during eletrical installations so the wire run easely in the tubing while wiring a building, that's the way I solved my problem.
The speed of the wheels mostly depends of the quantity of water that flows through the filters so the have to be pretty clean and as said before the the propeller and water channel should be free of dirt or algea,

Chris