Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help me out here!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-me-out-here-27858/)

jonreif 08-23-2009 03:16 PM

Help me out here!!!

First off Im a turtle guy, we have 3 125 setups for turtles so I understand filtration etc however I recently aquired 2 small aquarims stocked with fish as follows

1 10 gallon (walmart style) with its origional HOT filter and heater
1 aprox 3 gallon (walmart style) with a origional whisper style partial submergable filter

in the 10 gallon we have currently 1 zebra dano 1 gold dusk molly 2 neons 1 red tip shark 1 guppy and 1 unknown bottom feeder (1 zebra dano just died) Perhaps a slight overload of fish for a 10?

in the 3 gal there is a betta

my question is what do I need in way of filtration, space, etc to keep em alive

the previous owner said the lost about a fish a month but always repalced it with new and this does not sound right to me as fish surely live more than a month or so...

at the moment I doing 20% water changes every week (something the other person never did) I thought this alone would keep the fish alive but im wrong as one died already

Also I am running water quality tests as we use the same for turtles as fish do and the water is coming up good.

any advice on keeping those little guys alive as they are all only a few months old would be appreciated

JON

Tony G 08-23-2009 03:28 PM

Hello Jon welcome to Fishforum

First off, i beliebe you are well overstocked. The red tip shark will not do well in the tank since they need larger aquariums. How long has the 10g been setup? it may have not gone through the cycle yet. The nitrogen cycle is a process your tank goes through. Its the time it develops beneficial bacteria that will make the water healthy for your fish. Here's how it works:
When you start your tank, the water is clean. Once you add the fish, they produce waste and once there's waste in the water it produces ammonia. The ammonia is toxic to your fish. Then another bacteria is created that feeds off of the ammonia. This is called a Nitrite. THis is also toxic to fish. Luckily for us there's another bacteria created that feeds from the nitrite and its called a Nitrate. The nitrate is toxic to fish in high quantities (20ppm). If your readings say you have ammonia i would dose some Prime to detoxify the ammonia fofr the following 24 hrs. Then do 30-40% waterchanges so the ammonia doesnt get to high levels and kill your fish.
I would also suggest you Buy some Tetra Safestart. It contains nitrifying bacteria that cycle your tank within 7 days with your fish inside. I have cycled 2 aquariums with it and it does wonders.
Good luck

jonreif 08-23-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony G (Post 232109)
Hello Jon welcome to Fishforum

First off, i beliebe you are well overstocked. The red tip shark will not do well in the tank since they need larger aquariums. How long has the 10g been setup?

I thought the shark was too big for it but again im not up on fish.... so thanks for that advice i may be able to upgrade tanks early next month how big you suggest for the shark?

the water quality is good and getting better but im concerned about the filtration not being adaquite as Im useto running the biggest end of fluval canisters for my turtles, perhaps It's ok for fish, just seems so tiny to me

im not sure how long the 10 gal was setup, my guess would be more than 6 months so its fuly cycled Im familuar with the cycle process of a tank just not how it affects fish

anyway i see i took on a problem tank and im not a expert so any advice to put it straight is great

id also appreciate food advice on the above listed fish as they were feeding all fish the same flakes so i got some proper beta food and upgraded the flakes to fresh ones

I forgot to add on cycling: we moved the tank with the water in so I did not restart the system I only took about 25% water out to keep it from splashing out

Twistersmom 08-23-2009 04:37 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Maybe the death of the danio was just a stroke of bad luck, if he was a new fish or was kept in unclean conditions, he was possible sick when you got him. It sounds as though you are doing everything right.

Not sure what the flow rate is on your filters, but over filtration is always better than not enough. If you do decide to upgrade, then you have the worry of upsetting the cycle, less you can just add on an extra filter.

The stocking sounds fine with the exception of the shark. Is the red tip shark the same as the red tail shark? If so, they recommend a 55 gal for a full grown shark. They can also be aggressive, so keep an eye out for fin nipping.

If you want to upgrade in tank size, keep an eye out on Craigslist. Sometimes you can find complete setups for dirt cheap.

jonreif 08-23-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 232152)
The stocking sounds fine with the exception of the shark. Is the red tip shark the same as the red tail shark? If so, they recommend a 55 gal for a full grown shark. They can also be aggressive, so keep an eye out for fin nipping.

Yes the shark has a red tail, this is the one i was concerned about... I was unaware they were agressive

if he would not become food Id throw him in one of my 75's :lol:

Twistersmom 08-23-2009 04:58 PM

What kind of monsters are in the 75, that the turtle tank?

jonreif 08-23-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 232168)
What kind of monsters are in the 75, that the turtle tank?

yes i have 3 75's Red ear sliders, Squirtle is 5 inches Wartortle is 8 inches and Island is 10 inches they each got a wide shallow 75 gal custom setup

my living room is like an aquarium with wall to wall aquaruims

looks like I may need to make room for another large one for the shark but at least now I know what Im getting into!!!

im thinking I might get a 40 breeder so it can go under my feeding tank's stand or better yet the fish on top and the feeder tank below

Twistersmom 08-23-2009 07:34 PM

Post some pictures when you can.
I have my tanks scattered all over the house, but it would make maintenance easier if they where all in one room.

jonreif 08-23-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 232261)
Post some pictures when you can.
I have my tanks scattered all over the house, but it would make maintenance easier if they where all in one room.

I will do that soon,

funny you should say scattered around the house as I was just thinking of putting it in my spare room/office but im concerned its not part of the family off in a spare room/office

Twistersmom 08-23-2009 07:54 PM

One of my fish tanks is in the basement, just gives me a reason to enter a room, that otherwise would probably go unused.