Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New peppered corys hiding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-peppered-corys-hiding-278458/)

smit3183 10-01-2013 06:35 PM

New peppered corys hiding

Started a 55 gallon 2 and a half weeks ago. The tank is cycled from have a established filter transfered to it and also planted very heavily. I have 22 serpae tetras and only 5 peppered corys at the moment. Plan on getting at least 5-7 more. The 5 corys have been in there for a week and seem to hide in/under my driftwood while lights are on, only coming out a little. Now I knew it was risky with the serpaes but after doing a lot of research the consensus was that if I have a big enough tank and enough of them they would keep the nipping to themselves. It seems when the corys do come out their will be 2-3 tetras that seem interested in them and eventually give them a little nudge but not nip. Are they scaring the corys? Do you think once I add the remaing corys they will become a little more brave?

I will add that once the lights go off they do come out and will eat their food. Another question is that they stay on bottom probably 95% of time. Is this common with this specie, as my albinos are all over in my other 55 gallon. The albinos settled almost immediately also. Could this be an adjustment period , lack of numbers or are the serpaes an issue? Any help would be appreciated.

lilbabyvenus 10-01-2013 07:24 PM

It could be that they are just adjusting. I have 5 peppered corys, 6 serpae tetras, and 5 black phantom tetras in a 55 right now and my cory's are out all the time. I think they'll be ok once they're used to their new home.

Agent13 10-02-2013 01:02 PM

They probably will do better once you have more. Don't judge them based on albinos. The Albinos are much more sure of themselves normally. And yes they might be a little afraid of the tetras but I think they will adjust. Also yes they normally stick to the bottom and they are nocturnal fish but you may eventually see more daytime activity.

smit3183 10-02-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 3132034)
They probably will do better once you have more. Don't judge them based on albinos. The Albinos are much more sure of themselves normally. And yes they might be a little afraid of the tetras but I think they will adjust. Also yes they normally stick to the bottom and they are nocturnal fish but you may eventually see more daytime activity.

I'm pretty sure they're not nocturnal. I think I just need more which I plan to so once I find some. No one near me has any in stock . Did a little more reading on the peppered specie and they seem to really need numbers to be more out and about in the tank.

Agent13 10-02-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 3132082)
I'm pretty sure they're not nocturnal. I think I just need more which I plan to so once I find some. No one near me has any in stock . Did a little more reading on the peppered specie and they seem to really need numbers to be more out and about in the tank.

Perhaps I am wording it wrong. They are not a fan of light. They prefer shade. Heavy planted areas or under driftwood or hides is their preferred area of a tank unless in a large group( but they still will hide some.).

smit3183 10-02-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 3132210)
Perhaps I am wording it wrong. They are not a fan of light. They prefer shade. Heavy planted areas or under driftwood or hides is their preferred area of a tank unless in a large group( but they still will hide some.).

Ok, thanks. My lighting is not strong at all plus the surface is completely covered with floating plants. They love the driftwood. Will get more little guys asap.

willow 10-03-2013 10:23 AM

hi
i found the albino more active than the peppers,i'm wondering
which ones to go for this time round.the more the merrier
i think is the old saying,
:-D

smit3183 10-03-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 3138098)
hi
i found the albino more active than the peppers,i'm wondering
which ones to go for this time round.the more the merrier
i think is the old saying,
:-D

The albinos are much more active, at least that's from what I see so far. My peppers are glued to my substrate whereas you would think my albinos are middle level swimmers

willow 10-03-2013 10:59 AM

perhaps i'll do a combo. :-)