Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   stocking a 30g tank, complete cichlid noob (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-30g-tank-complete-cichlid-noob-27844/)

phat tony 08-23-2009 10:34 AM

stocking a 30g tank, complete cichlid noob

hey guys.

im completely new to cichlids however i really like them and i want to start keeping them.
I currently have a 30g tank with several tetras and corys and a bristle nose pleco. however im thinking of converting this to a cichlid tank, keeping the birstle nose if possible.

so what id like to ask is what sorts of cichlids could i keep? bearing in mind i know almost nothing about this type of fish. how many could i keep? what filtration would i need, i currently have a aqua one 700 canister filter. what sort of decorations and water parameters would i need for whatever fish you suggest.

any suggestions would be heaps of help. thanks :)

willow 08-23-2009 05:18 PM

hi
what sort of cichlids would you like to keep.
mabuna,angel fish,rams,to name a couple. ?

buzz4520 08-26-2009 01:46 AM

i agree with willow...best to start off with what/which one(s) you might/are interested in keeping ? unless your planning on up grading your tank you are very limited on kind/types of cichlids you can keep.

phat tony 08-27-2009 01:01 AM

i was maybe thinking of maybe a pair of kribensis, one male and one female, as i would love to see them spawn. my water is on the alkaline side, pH around 7.4, iv read that they require slightly acidic water. how could i lower the pH without the use of chemicals and suh, iv heard they are quick fixes and arent good ideas for the long run but certain rocks will lower the pH more consistently.

willieturnip 08-31-2009 02:47 PM

Kribs are great fish. I used to own a couple and they were brilliant.

They are alright in pH 6.5 - 7.5 so you should be just about ok on that front, though it would be best to go slightly more acidic.

Water conditions aren't QUITE as important as t may seem. I don't own any testing kits, thermometers or any of that gubbins and I have been keeping cichlids for over 5 years. In fact, my Jack Dempsies were the first fish I bought and I still have them today. Very healthy. My Firemouth and Texas cichlids are also very healthy and happy.

Sexing kribensis is very easy too, so getting a pair isn't even slightly a problem. Harder when young, but the pointed dorsal fin is a dead giveaway.

Beautiful fish, great parents. Only grow to 3-4 inches so you'll easily get a pair in your 30 gallon.

Others to consider are Rams (sometimes known as Dwarf Cichlids) as they are small and well natured to cichlids.

jakezori 09-06-2009 11:40 PM

kribs are prolly the best way to go... a 30 gallon limits what you can do greatly in terms of cichlids.