Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   A couple of questions. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/couple-questions-27809/)

Gav 08-22-2009 03:52 PM

A couple of questions.

I currently have; a pair of kribs (paired up for about a month now), a pair of BN pleco's (have bred before I got them), 1 male and 3 female cockatoo cichlids (still quite a bit from breeding stage, only about an inch in length) and 2 female bettas...

Situation is, my kribs and pleco's are in a 90L tank, this will be the kribs home but what tank size would be recommended for the pleco's. My cichlids are in a 125L community aswell as the F bettas, I am wanting 2 tanks for the bettas and the cichlids.
I was goin to get a 60L for the bettas, but I am planning on having 6 females and one male, the reason I have only 2 is my lfs only gets them on rare occasions so I got the two best ones that were there.
I was thinking about a Fluval 90L, or an Elite 95 for the cockatoo's but will this be sufficient?

I am wanting another type of fish to breed, so I was wondering if anyone had any fish they would recommend me breed next and if anyone has any info on the fish I am currently breeding it would be appreciated. I have had a look at lionhead cichlids so far.

Gav 08-24-2009 10:42 AM

BN pleco pair, tank size recommended for breeding?

Cockatoo cichlids (1male, 3females) , tank size recommended for breeding (any info from other breeders would be appreciated aswell)?

Betta's (working on having 1male, 6females), tank size recommended for breeding (i take it i will require 2 tanks for separation after breeding)?

Anyone got any recommendations for another fish to breed once the current one's I have are sorted?

(Thought I would shorten everything cos I put a bit much in the first post)

willow 08-25-2009 12:50 PM

i can't help Gav sorry.
i hope some one will though.

Gav 08-25-2009 01:13 PM

Well i'll just post what i think will be appropriate;

BN pleco- 150L to 200L tank (a tank that is low in height, as there will only be the pleco's in it)

cockatoo cichlids- 100L to 125L tank

betta- 90L to 110L tank

anyone agree or have other ideas?

dramaqueen 08-28-2009 10:17 PM

I wouldn't house the male betta with the females. He should be in his own tank. They are too aggressive and will fight.

Gav 08-31-2009 01:06 PM

Reconsidered breeding betta's, i'm just going to get another kind of pleco or cichlid. Just need to start looking at different species, i'll let u's know what i have decided to go for.

teddyzaper 08-31-2009 02:27 PM

150L is good for 2 BN plecos but if u were to get more i would go up to 300L becuase some do get big (different species) the female bettas shouldnt be with the male. that is all i can offer

Gav 09-01-2009 11:07 AM

I am being very careful what kind of fish that i will get next, i already have to keep room in the house for a huge tank when my zigzag eel's get a bit bigger, so either i get something small or get something that will be able to be bred in a tank with another pair.

I have room for my big tank when i get one and enough space to sell my current one's and upgrade to larger tanks. I also have enough room for tanks when i start getting fry.

Gav 09-11-2009 06:20 PM

I am assuming, from what I can see and the vast number of replies (notice the sarcasm, no I didn't think so it's not as effective when you type it rather than say it) that no one has bred any of the fish I have mentioned. So if anyone has kept these fish could you let me know the size of tank you kept them in and how well they where in the tank, thank you. Also ignore anything about betta's have reconsidered that and am currently looking into new homes for my females.

willow 09-12-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 233224)
Well i'll just post what i think will be appropriate;

BN pleco- 150L to 200L tank (a tank that is low in height, as there will only be the pleco's in it)

cockatoo cichlids- 100L to 125L tank

betta- 90L to 110L tank

anyone agree or have other ideas?

hay Gav
are you sticking with this idea except without the bettas ?