Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is $55 a good deal on a 55g tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55-good-deal-55g-tank-2779/)

DeMonZ 01-26-2007 10:36 AM

Is $55 a good deal on a 55g tank?

After some research and reading the replies to my post, Fry needs input on aquarium size, I have decided upon a 55 gallon tank.

This morning I made a trip to the nearest LFS and low and behold they are having a sale! The tank in question is new with a black frame. There is nothing included with it at all, not even a brand name. Just the tank. Is $55 a good deal on this? It's marked down from $100.

From what I can determine, this LFS is fairly reputable and the employees were very helpful and seemed very knowledgeable on everything except the tank manufacturer, of course.

I know I could spend a great deal more and get the hood and a stand, but I cant see spending that much for those items. The stand I will build myself as I have been doing woodworking for nearly 30yrs. And I am sure I can build one better than any "manufactured" one available. And paying for the hood makes no sense either as I eventually plan to try my hand at live plants. Thus, from what I have read, a single bulb unit will probably not suffice. Not to mention that my home built one will be unique and look a lot better.
*Symbols edited. Not needed here.
Blue

Any and all input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Lauri 01-26-2007 11:26 AM

In my opinion yes that is a good price for a 55 gallon tank from a lfs. And yeah i wouldn't waste your money on a stand there if you know wood working you can build a nice stand and hood for you 55 gallon for less than 150 bucks for both, we did and it turned out nice.

soco1125 01-26-2007 11:36 AM

I agree with Lauri. I learned the hard way that a "good deal" is sometimes too good to be true (don't buy an aquarium at a flea market! LOL :roll: ) But since you're getting a brand new one from an LFS you really will have a good deal. Good luck building the stand and hood, I'd definitely like to see pics when you get it all done

scottysgirl 01-26-2007 11:37 AM

It is a good deal, but if you looked around (on Craigslist and the like) you could certainly find a better deal. But from a store that is a good price.

Jaysn 01-26-2007 11:42 AM

I paid $150 for mine recently, although it did come with two light hoods, heater, & filter. I'd say that's a great deal.

FDStation152 01-26-2007 05:25 PM

Around here a 55 gallon tank costs about 110 dollars...if i was to come across one for 50 id be hard pressed to pass it up.

DeMonZ 01-26-2007 06:13 PM

Well, I wont give out the name of the shop, but if anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area is interested, the shop is located on East Broad, East of I270 next to Target. Sale ends 1/31.

I guess if this is a no no on this board, please feel free to delete this post. However, I assure you that I do not work for the store in question.

Maybe someone else can benefit from a good deal as well.

Thanks to everyone for the input. Going to go get mine tomorrow. Now, anyone no of a sale on filters? :lol:

KoiGuy 02-07-2007 11:07 PM

why isn't the manufacturer's name presented unless they're trying to hide something

magic_marty 02-07-2007 11:22 PM

i think its a good deal especially being its new.in my area i found a 55 with the 2 lite strips for $109.00 and thus far is the best price i can find to date.

heres a link to a good home built stand if anybody is interested, its the one i plan on building in the very near future.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml