Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   I got a Discus! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/i-got-discus-27779/)

fishkid 08-21-2009 11:21 PM

I got a Discus!

Tonight, one of the larger fish stores in my area held their annual sale. Alas, after six years of the hobby, I have obtained the king of aquarium fish, the mighty Discus!

Do you guys have any special tips or advice for keeping discus fish? I know the basics, but wonder if you have anything else to contribute.

Rohland 08-21-2009 11:25 PM

did you just get one?
don't they like to be in groups?

fishkid 08-21-2009 11:38 PM

I just got one.

And I have seen highly esteemed discus breeders like Jack Wattley use the idea of a solitary discus.

1077 08-21-2009 11:58 PM

I raised six Discus from babies to adulthood and they are truly a beautiful fish that are not that difficult to care for if their needs are met. Perhaps you could share what you do know about their care,and then Some may be able to offer some tips that will help with the care of your fish. I shall assume(always a bad thing) that having read material by Mr. Wattley, You are aware that these fish are quite sensitive to any fluctuations in water chemistry. If I had to offer only one tip... It would be , water changes.

fishkid 08-22-2009 09:59 AM

I know about:

Choosing a good specimen (eye proportion, body shape, tha kind of stuff)

Acclimation

Behavior

Water Conditions

Feeding

Treating Capillaria

Temperement and Tankmates

And I've been keeping fish for six years.

1077 08-22-2009 10:42 AM

Am pleased that you have done your homework on these fish. Along with selecting a nice specimen,,acclimation will be all important. Done too quickly,,and results are pretty quick at presenting themselves. I might were it me,(and it ain't) get as much info on water from dealers tank along with info on what foods the fish has been eating. I belive it not uncommon for these fish to refuse food for up to a week after being placed in new surroundings. Others don't miss a beat and begin to feed almost immediately. Always best to have a variety of foods to tempt them should the former be the case.
I might also consider where the tank is placed. I have found that these fish are sometimes spooked easily. Wouldn't place the tank around a corner where fish would suddenly be spooked by people suddenly appearing. I might leave the lights off for a couple days to give the fish time to adjust to it's new surroundings. I have found them to be fond of wood to rest near,or get under if possible.
I would not attempt to keep these fish at temps below 82 degrees despite what others may say. I kept mine at 84 degrees with three weekly water changes of 25 to 30 percent and other than treating them for worms directly after receiving them, I had no issues with disease or parasites. I hope you are just as fortunate.P.S. I always used PRIME for water conditioner and would not trust any other. Good Luck.

Teammuir1 09-16-2009 03:45 PM

Discus

I to have been thinking about the purchase of such Fish...
I already have some cichlids.... Would they get along?
I am not real sure what type of cichlids I have I can take some pics
of course.. but if it was a general answere of NO then why go through the
trouble of taking pics LOL.
Thanks
Ron

MoneyMitch 09-16-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teammuir1 (Post 244240)
Thanks
Ron

i probobly wouldnt put anything with them, most cichlids are very aggressive and territorial, not to mention if a fish can fit in the discus mouth it usually does. even without pics i would say No

1077 09-17-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teammuir1 (Post 244240)
Thanks
Ron

In general, I would say no they would not do well with most cichlids due to hard water that most cichlids need and the aggressive and often territorial nature of same.
I have kept them with rams,Keyhole cichlids,Sterbai corydoras,and Bristlenose Pleco without issues.
I would suggest reading all published works I could find on the care of Discus should I intend to try my hand at them.

Teammuir1 09-17-2009 08:47 AM

Which type did you get?

fishkid

When you can Please post a picture of the Discus you purchased..... I am very interested
in seeing your fine fish..
I have E-mailed a Breeder In up state New York.. and he claims that he can send me some of
the best fish I would have ever layed eyes on ... ( sounds fishy ) lol
anyways It will not be anytime soon ( I dont think ) until I get some Discus but I do have a NEW
120 gallon tank that I am interested putting Discus in.
I hope you have great success and please keep us updated on there growth. and please do
post pictures.
thanks
Ron