Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Reduce, Re-use and Recycle! New Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/reduce-re-use-recycle-new-aquarium-27761/)

Harsiem 08-21-2009 04:42 PM

Reduce, Re-use and Recycle! New Aquarium

7 Attachment(s)
I have recently set up a new aquarium (26gal/103ltr if my calculations are correct) complete with heater, filters and light! This is not my 1st aquarium, i am resonably experienced in this field.
I aquired this aquarium for free, as I found it sitting amongst brambles and vines in my uncles garden! I had to re-seal it with silicon and I didn't do the neatest job,!The hetar, filters and light fitting (not bulb, however) are all from one of my previous aquariums and are all A class electrical goods with an A rated efficiency tag :-P! The background is a reptile vivarium background which I salvaged from my old Water Dragon viv.
When my tank was set up, complete with ornaments and many live plants I realised there was somthing missing... fish! So I walked down to the pet shop and enquired about guppies (a nice hardy fish to start of with, that are also very nice looking) and as it happend, the shopkeeper had a tank of about 10 guppies (fry, juvenile, adult, most adult males with damaged tails) which he was about to get rid of:cry:to house some expensive discus! He kindly let me have 8 of them for free, he kept the 2 best males and moved them into another tank.
So this tank is truly salvaged and I hope to be getting more fish soon, I have my eye on some nice juvenile Dwarf Gouramis. The tank currently contains 3 fry and 5 adult guppies (one of which is a male).

Rohland 08-22-2009 02:12 AM

your tank looks nice, even will salvaged materials.
1 male and 5 females!!! I hope you have room for the babies ;)

willow 08-22-2009 05:30 AM

nice tank.
it's amazing what can be done. :)

Harsiem 08-22-2009 12:54 PM

Thanks for your comments, today I bought two catfish/sharks to take care of food that was sitting at the bottom, as the guppies are generally at the top. I don't know exactly what they are called though, I will upload some photos on another thread and see if they can be identified!

artgalnj 08-22-2009 07:04 PM

Looking good Harsiem! I love the stone background. It's different from the standard one color background. Gives the illusion of a secret underwater cave. Cool!

Harsiem 08-24-2009 04:04 AM

Thanks! Moment its still in the process of cycling (hence the cloudyness) and I can't wait till it clears up!

SueK 09-01-2009 09:30 PM

Great job decorating - love the background!

Calmwaters 09-03-2009 10:28 AM

Very nice.