Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Please advise me on my tank size. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/please-advise-me-my-tank-size-277522/)

Eire84 09-30-2013 11:56 AM

Please advise me on my tank size.
 
I have a 20 Gallon tank for two fish. One is a comet who is about a year or a little over it and an oranda 10 months old. I am going to buy a new tank for them and I just want to know the proper sized tank for them. Now I am not looking for complicated answers just in lay mans terms eg 100 Gallons or whatever gallon size i need.

Please help. Money is a bit of an object but i will get the proper tank for them. I also don't have a filter for them as i change the water twice a week and use JBL Biotopol to make the tap water safe. I will get a filter with my new tank though. As it will provide a cleaner environment for my babies.

Please help.
Eire :)
Posted via Mobile Device

rexpepper651 09-30-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eire84 (Post 3117178)
I have a 20 Gallon tank for two fish. One is a comet who is about a year or a little over it and an oranda 10 months old. I am going to buy a new tank for them and I just want to know the proper sized tank for them. Now I am not looking for complicated answers just in lay mans terms eg 100 Gallons or whatever gallon size i need.

Please help. Money is a bit of an object but i will get the proper tank for them. I also don't have a filter for them as i change the water twice a week and use JBL Biotopol to make the tap water safe. I will get a filter with my new tank though. As it will provide a cleaner environment for my babies.

Please help.
Eire :)
Posted via Mobile Device



get a 75 gallon add some more fish be happy happy happy! look on craigslist for a good deal. i picked up a 20gal, 55 gallon tank with acrylic stand for 60 dollars.

Eire84 09-30-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 3117562)
get a 75 gallon add some more fish be happy happy happy! look on craigslist for a good deal. i picked up a 20gal, 55 gallon tank with acrylic stand for 60 dollars.

Omg that is a steal... Wow good value. So ill be safe enough with a 75 gallon so? I have two fish already so I may add another oranda as time goes on as the comet will be pretty big. Thank you for your reply it was really helpful.

Eire
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 09-30-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 3117562)
get a 75 gallon add some more fish be happy happy happy! look on craigslist for a good deal. i picked up a 20gal, 55 gallon tank with acrylic stand for 60 dollars.

Yup.

Get a 75 or 90 (same footprint) and a couple more goldfish. No comets though - 1 is already too many. With good care, the comet will outgrow a 75/90.

Most important thing when finding deals on craigslist is to act FAST. Good deals are gone in a day, so you need to be the first person to respond, and then meet them ASAP. I got my 90 complete with stand, light, heater and filters (305 and 405 canisters and an AC110) for $225.

Speaking of filters, you will need big filters. Obviously not right away, but hopefully you can get a tank that comes with a decent filter. You can always upgrade in pieces.

Eire84 09-30-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3118282)
Yup.

Get a 75 or 90 (same footprint) and a couple more goldfish. No comets though - 1 is already too many. With good care, the comet will outgrow a 75/90.

Most important thing when finding deals on craigslist is to act FAST. Good deals are gone in a day, so you need to be the first person to respond, and then meet them ASAP. I got my 90 complete with stand, light, heater and filters (305 and 405 canisters and an AC110) for $225.

Speaking of filters, you will need big filters. Obviously not right away, but hopefully you can get a tank that comes with a decent filter. You can always upgrade in pieces.

I am living in Ireland and we have the maxi zoo chain of pet superstores i have my eye on a tank it is funnily enough a 75 gallon with stand so Im glad that i can go ahead and buy it because I wasn't sure of the size. I will be talking to the people in there because i bought my fish from there along with their Biotopol and their pellets. JBL are such a good brand for fish. So many vitamins in the food. They just love it. I used my old Glenkrag tank from my previous fish but i only ever had the one oranda in it and that was over 10 years ago. I had him for 2 years... He was gorgeous he was silver and had a purple hue on his dorsal fins. The oranda i have now is orange and has silver on his belly.. The black comet is really black but there is a flash of gold when she is near light and she too has silver on her belly... They truly are beautiful.
Posted via Mobile Device

jentralala 10-01-2013 02:38 AM

Is it possible you could re-home the comet to someone's (man-made) pond? Perhaps put an ad out looking for a pond? I ask because she would have a lot more room and grow much better in a pond. They can reach around 18" long, with good care. If you re-homed the comet, you could get a few more orandas or other fancies in a 75 gallon. Probably around 2 or 3 more, as they also get up to 6 inches.

However, I'm not a gold fish expert. I'll be sure to notify some of the people on this site who are avid goldfish enthusiasts!

thekoimaiden 10-01-2013 11:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would definitely go with a 75 gal or larger. With goldfish the larger the better. A 55 would be the smallest you should do and only as a last minute resort. I'd aim for the 75 first of all. I have a 55 and I want to upgrade to a 75 gal.

You don't have to get a filter right now, but it will be a big help on down the line. You'll want to go for a canister filter over about anything else. I've had much better luck with them than other filters with my goldfish.

As others have said, the comet will outgrow most any normal sized tank with proper care. I'd really start looking to see if any friends with large garden ponds would be willing to take him. Sometimes even local gardens and greenhouses will take goldfish for their ponds.

Eire84 10-01-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 3123706)
Is it possible you could re-home the comet to someone's (man-made) pond? Perhaps put an ad out looking for a pond? I ask because she would have a lot more room and grow much better in a pond. They can reach around 18" long, with good care. If you re-homed the comet, you could get a few more orandas or other fancies in a 75 gallon. Probably around 2 or 3 more, as they also get up to 6 inches.

However, I'm not a gold fish expert. I'll be sure to notify some of the people on this site who are avid goldfish enthusiasts!

I don't want to rehome her she is just too precious to me... I had to rehome my black Labrador a few years back and i just couldn't do it to Ozzy my comet as that tore me apart.... I can get a bigger tank as she grows older.... That's not an issue to upgrade from the 75 gallon when i get it... I couldn't rehome her and i am not going to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eire84 10-01-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 3124938)
Welcome to the forum! :)

I would definitely go with a 75 gal or larger. With goldfish the larger the better. A 55 would be the smallest you should do and only as a last minute resort. I'd aim for the 75 first of all. I have a 55 and I want to upgrade to a 75 gal.

You don't have to get a filter right now, but it will be a big help on down the line. You'll want to go for a canister filter over about anything else. I've had much better luck with them than other filters with my goldfish.

As others have said, the comet will outgrow most any normal sized tank with proper care. I'd really start looking to see if any friends with large garden ponds would be willing to take him. Sometimes even local gardens and greenhouses will take goldfish for their ponds.

Ya the 75 will be good i cant wait to get it... To show off my babies... IM going to have a light the whole nine yards for them.... As i have said to another user i will never rehome my comet as i could in time buy a house with a garden and put my own pond in there for her.... She lives for 20 years or more i have lots of time yet.... She is my baby and i am not rehoming her... I had to rehome my black Labrador a few years back over my landlady coming back to live in the house i was renting and couldn't find anywhere that would rent to me with a pet.... I had him in kennels for about 2 months at 60 per week roughly $70 a week so to allow me time to find a place to no avail... So rehoming my baby girl is completely out of the question.
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 10-01-2013 04:27 PM

I understand not wanting to rehome your comet, but this means you will need an even larger tank. You are now looking at something like a 125 gal or larger. Comets are large and active fish. They usually top out around 8 or 9 inches long. A fish that large needs room to turn as well as room to swim. The reason why everyone suggests a pond is because that is really the best place for a comet goldfish.

As to the age expectancy, 20 years is usually the maximum for pond goldfish. Ten is more like the average. There is a pretty large difference in age expectancy for tank goldfish vs. pond goldfish, and it has to do with metabolism. Tank goldfish are kept at a relatively constant temperature year-round which means their metabolism stays at a pretty constant level. There is nothing wrong with this, but the byproducts of metabolism are what cause the aging process. Pond goldfish go into hibernation during the winter during which their metabolism slows to almost a stop. So in a sense, tank goldfish age twice as fast as pond goldfish, thus giving those goldfish in the pond a seemingly longer life span (if they are protected from predation, mechanical failures, and poor maintenance).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2