Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   questions on chlorine removal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/questions-chlorine-removal-275905/)

clayton1169 09-27-2013 08:08 PM

questions on chlorine removal

i've had my tank running for years without issue but i moved 5 months ago and i can tell that the new town im in uses more chlorine in the water so much that when i run a bath for my kid i can smell it... i think that it has had some effect on my tank cuz i've lost a few fish since the move my lfs guy told me to just double up on stress coat when i do my changes is this the best method and option im going threw a bottle of stress coat a about ever 5-6 weeks i know prime treats more water for less but then you don't get the slime coat im wondering if i should combine the 2

lilbabyvenus 09-27-2013 09:00 PM

I think prime does help with slime coat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ChuckinMA 09-28-2013 06:01 AM

Have you had the new tap water tested for the standard parameters such as pH, nitrates, hardness? There may be other factors affecting your fish too. Your water company should also be able to tell you the typical tap ranges since most are now required to produce an annual water quality report. This doesn't mean that every time you draw tap water it will match the report, but it will give you an indication.

clayton1169 09-28-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckinMA (Post 3099393)
Have you had the new tap water tested for the standard parameters such as pH, nitrates, hardness? There may be other factors affecting your fish too. Your water company should also be able to tell you the typical tap ranges since most are now required to produce an annual water quality report. This doesn't mean that every time you draw tap water it will match the report, but it will give you an indication.

i've test the ph levels and nitrate levels at the tap and there actually pretty decent ph is a little low but manageable

flight50 10-06-2013 10:14 PM

Stress coat is to Ford Fiesta as Prime is to Mercedez Benz. Prime is a much better product at quickly neutralizing the domestic water supply. I am sure 85-90% of fish keepers use prime because of its effectiveness.

Agent13 10-07-2013 09:51 AM

Stresscoats assistance with the slime coat os only used to help an injured fish...they are supposed to and do produce that themselves so do not worry. Prime is my far better then stresscoat especially given your specific water issue. But also there could be other issues going on..not just the chlorine. But either way switch to prime.
What kind of fish do you keep? and what size tank? Also did you keep the BB alive during the move or did you start the cycle all over again..assuming you cycled your tank previously.