Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is this correct? Not sure how filter should be positioned? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/correct-not-sure-how-filter-should-27590/)

cinnomen 08-20-2009 12:38 PM

Is this correct? Not sure how filter should be positioned?

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, Will update my other posts in a bit but what a day :( We went to buy new bulbs for our old style juewl tank and turns out that the whole light set up needed replacing, these are hard to find now as my tank is so old and I looked about and they were around 50-80 just for the light set up section for my tank..so I ended up getting a new tank alltogether, I now have a new filter, new tank and new lights plants etc. Im hoping my fish will be ok and put in some special medicines for new tank set ups etc.
My new filter is a FLUVAL U3 I have never had a filter like this before so im not sure how it should be set up. There is a little bit that points up at the top above where the water comes out and apparently its meant to go above water, I have edited a picture the red line shows the bit I mean the blue line shows roughly where my water is, do you think this is correct? Im not sure if the whole thing should be fully under the water the instructions confused me so much!
There are a few bits of spray coming above the water hardly anything is this ok with the lights? of course it cant really be avoided as My air pump makes spray:oops: hope my pictures help and look forward to hearing from you.

cinnomen 08-20-2009 12:57 PM

ps must add I hope my tank is ok in size? its 81cm by 35 and 120 litres or so, I have had the big fish for 9 yeard and have always had a tank this size I wish I could afford the bigger ones but they are out of budget, do you think I should rehome them? though this would break my heart, they were teeny when I got them!

nomel 08-20-2009 01:01 PM

If you still have it, you need to stick your old filter on ASAP...assuming those bacteria colonies aren't dead already...do they die in air? Also, I'd put your old gravel in for now.

And, for another comment that will make sense after a few posts:
I'd say your only hope is to find a friend with an established tank and steal as much water as you can...if they'll give you filter material and gravel...take that too!

and, read this
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html

cinnomen 08-20-2009 05:05 PM

Thanks, Gosh I think ill stay in this forum, ive been on another not naming names but all they have done its pick pick pick on me...the red gravel is grose..the ornaments are wrong...the fish are too big...gawd arent we allowed to have our own tastes??? :( thanks guys on this forum for helping and being so nice xxx

MoneyMitch 08-20-2009 05:51 PM

watch ur water parameters since u switched filters. no worries about the cycle just stay up on ur water changes and keep a eye on the water. i agrtee with the other guy try to get some substrate from a established tank tie it in a sock and throw it in ur tank for a while to help mature ur colinies. that will help ur fish ALOT throughout the cycle that WILL happen. might as well throw on ur old filter too nothing wrong with more mech filtration.

Money

nomel 08-20-2009 06:24 PM

Moneymitch:
What!? I suggested old filter since it will have some biological filtration capability...right now...she has absolutely none! She'll have to keep ammonia down by water changes alone!

cinnomen: He's right...keep an eye on your water parameters...at first, you'll probably end up changing a large portion of your water much more often than you're used to. But...they look like big strong fish...I'm sure they'll be fine. You've obviously done fine in the past!

aunt kymmie 08-20-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnomen (Post 230517)
Thanks, Gosh I think ill stay in this forum, ive been on another not naming names but all they have done its pick pick pick on me...the red gravel is grose..the ornaments are wrong...the fish are too big...gawd arent we allowed to have our own tastes??? :( thanks guys on this forum for helping and being so nice xxx

While I do think your tank is too small for your fish I also agree that they do look healthy. Also, I think your red gravel looks cool. I can't recall ever seeing red gravel and I like they way the color of your fish *pop* against it. :-)

MoneyMitch 08-20-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomel (Post 230560)
Moneymitch:
What!? I suggested old filter since it will have some biological filtration capability...right now...she has absolutely none! She'll have to keep ammonia down by water changes alone!

cinnomen: He's right...keep an eye on your water parameters...at first, you'll probably end up changing a large portion of your water much more often than you're used to. But...they look like big strong fish...I'm sure they'll be fine. You've obviously done fine in the past!

i said use BOTH and that there was NOTHING wrong with more mech/bio filtration.

forgot to add here is a post about TWO filters may7be this will help plead my case for using two filters?

http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-...-1-tank-27463/

nomel 08-21-2009 12:09 AM

meh. "might as well throw on ur old filter too nothing wrong with more mech filtration." sounds like mechanical only to me. the existing filter should have *much* biological than the water and gravel at this point.

Krinedawg 08-21-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 230647)
While I do think your tank is too small for your fish I also agree that they do look healthy. Also, I think your red gravel looks cool. I can't recall ever seeing red gravel and I like they way the color of your fish *pop* against it. :-)

I agree on the size as well, but yeah your tank looks really nice, good work!