Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mystery Critters in Blue Shrimp Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mystery-critters-blue-shrimp-tank-27586/)

aquariangel 08-20-2009 10:22 AM

Mystery Critters in Blue Shrimp Tank

2 Attachment(s)
While looking at the blue shrimp last night we notice some odd excrutiatingly small white cirtters moving around the tank, and a few stationary white sacs. The sacs we determined by some research are Assasin Snail eggs...can't wait for that hatch! If someone thinks they're something else please let me know.....

But the other small critters were bopping around on the driftwood. The only new addition to the tank lately has been the assasin snails so we are at a loss to identify the mystery blobs. The photos below (links) show a long shot of the tank and driftwood, then I cropped a close up of the spot where the egg sacs and mystery critters were. Can anyone identify what these things are? We considered they may be juvenile shrimp but I've never seen anything like this and they don't look like the other juvenile shrimp bebopping around the tank. We don't want to disturb the tank as it's been a very good environment and the shrimp have been breeding like, well rabbits.

The shrimp in the picture is a juvenile and there is java grass in the picture as well, hope that gives everyone scale.

Any help is appreciated!

Fishin Pole 08-20-2009 06:35 PM

aquariangel 08-20-2009 06:43 PM

never mind.....figured it out....thank you anyway.......

MoneyMitch 08-20-2009 09:29 PM

well please share!!! what did it turn out to be??? im anxious to find out myself.

Little-Fizz 08-20-2009 11:44 PM

It looked like pond snails or something? It's hard to tell. Where did you get assasin snails? That's wicked, I've always wanted some myself.

Fishin Pole 08-21-2009 07:02 AM

This Aquariangel's other half......We found out after a little bit of research that we believe them to be some type of copepod......Everything i have read says they are harmless and a sign of good water quality........The assassin snails were purchased from a member of Aquabid.......It was a little bit of a suprise to see their eggs, because we have only had them in with the shrimp for less than a month, but hopefully we have a decent number of them in a few months

Krinedawg 08-21-2009 01:30 PM

Just keep them away from other snails my friend, They will eat them!
Oh yeah the shrimp look awesome!!

aquariangel 08-21-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krinedawg (Post 230940)
Just keep them away from other snails my friend, They will eat them!
Oh yeah the shrimp look awesome!!

Oh! No, the brigs are in totally differnt tanks! No, no, no...i love those brigs! but thanks anyway...we got the assasins to do some damage control of rams in the blue shrimp tank...

thanks, i took more today of them swarming the cucumber i put in....i'll add to album soon.

Krinedawg 08-21-2009 03:59 PM

I have apple snails, (Pomacea bridgesii) They are fun to watch, I started with two an Ivory and a red yellow. Now I have I couple dozen! I want to see how big they grow.

Tell your other half to check his pm, and if you want I can bring some of the baby Apple snails along too.

MoneyMitch 08-24-2009 04:23 PM

thtas crazy that has to be fun to watch them swarm all over that cucumber