Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   using 2 filters for 1 tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/using-2-filters-1-tank-27463/)

redlessi 08-18-2009 09:41 AM

using 2 filters for 1 tank

I recently added another filter to my 35 gal tank. The first one is a penplax cascade 200 for 55 gal and the second is aquaclear 150 for 30. Does this mean that I have 350 GPH now?

It seems like a dumb questions but I know there is no such thing!!!

1077 08-18-2009 10:05 AM

What you have should be plenty. The gallons per hour rating on many filters listed,does not include the media (ie) sponges,pads,cartridges etc. that tend to decrease the GPH a little. Still,, You should have plenty. More filtration in my view,never hurts.

eileen 08-18-2009 11:40 AM

I have a 55 gal. tank and sold the original filter unopened that came with the tank on craigslist. I bought a bio canister fiter from drsfostersmith that was for a 75 gal. tank. Always go with a little bigger filter then what is made for your tank. Mine has a adjustable knob so that I can adjust the water flow from high-low. This one however used 4 filter cartridges instead of the 2. I rotate the filter cartridges I move the old one in the back to the front and put a new filter in the back once a month. It saves money on filter cartridges and you keep some of the good bio from the old filter. I do a partial water change once a month and use a product called Cycle once a month to maintain the water quality. Be carful though as to much power might suck up your fish or any baby fish you want to save.

You might want to sell your 30 gal. filter 0n craiglist as the filter you got for a 55 gal. should do the trick for your 35 gal. tank. I think you have way to much power for that size tank and buying filters for both can be an expense. Sell the 30 gal. filter for a fair price considering it is used. You can use the money to buy fishies or other aquatic goodies.

redlessi 08-18-2009 01:47 PM

I read that you should have anywhere from 8-10 times that of your gallons which at 35 gallons would need 350gph. I thought you could not have too much filtration and if you can have too much what kind of damage will it do to the fish?

nomel 08-18-2009 06:14 PM

10 times for a 10 gallon tank would be 100gph, or about 1.7 gallons/minute...so about 17% of the water every minute...that's a crystal clear tank in just a few minutes! :-D

Nothing wrong with excess...just remember...you're only really gaining physical filtration (and redundancy of course). The biological filtration, or the bacteria colonies in your tank, is directly related to the amount of fish and food waste available for it to process...dieing off and repopulating the colonies as needed.

Too much physical filtering doesn't do much because, if you clear your water of particles in minutes rather than hours, the amount of gunk in your filter at water changes will be the same.

So, since your physical doesn't change much, and your biological just depends on the number of fish and food you put in to your system...you don't really gain anything.

And...If you diffuse the flow enough you can have pretty high flow rates without disturbing even gentle flow fish. I say more flow to you!

redlessi 08-18-2009 08:21 PM

So Nomel, just to make sure I am clear with what you are saying; It does not matter that I added another filter?? or since I have enough fish (13) its ok? Not sure I think you explained it so well that I am a little confused......

Do you agree with Eileen that I should just get rid of the additional one or keep it?

Thanks

1077 08-19-2009 12:57 AM

Mechanical (physical?) and biological filtration are the most important in your aquarium. The more mechanical filtration, the cleaner the tank will be. More flow = more suspended particulates being trapped at the filter which is then cleaned or replaced as needed. I would run both filters and alternate cleaning them.

eileen 08-19-2009 11:45 AM

I forgot to tell you that I also have a Submariner UV Sterilizer/Clarifier that I have in my 55 gal. tank also that keeps the water quality good. I bought this at Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products I have the 5watt for a 40 gal. tank that was $74.99. I keep the UV light on all the time.

jeaninel 08-19-2009 12:28 PM

I agree with 1077. I would rather over filter my tank than not have enough. What type of fish do you have? You may be able to get away with just the one filter if you have mostly smaller fish such as neons or guppies. But if you eventually wanted cichlids or some larger bodied fish you would need more filtration. I would keep both filters. Besides, it's always good to have a backup.

nomel 08-19-2009 12:52 PM

"More flow = more suspended particulates being trapped at the filter" is misleading...it should be "more suspended particles being trapped at the filter, for a given length of time'. More will not be trapped in total, they'll just be trapped quicker...after a while, you'll be filtering crystal clear water with either setup.

Two filters, you'll get clearer water faster and, if one fails, you might not have to come home to a tank of departed fish. I wish I could run two, but I have a wet dry...those pumps are pricey.

I say use two if you can afford the $2.50 or something extra for your power bill. :-)