Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   to cycle ( i know i should know..) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycle-i-know-i-should-know-274570/)

willow 09-25-2013 01:01 PM

to cycle ( i know i should know..)

ok now...i've been here forever....like an old chair...and i should
know better..however...i'm still going to ask :tongue: don't talk about me:gossip:
:lol:.....i'm getting old....and i forget things....:-(
i need to cycle this huge glass box in my living room Juwel rio 300
and i'm thinking of using fish food,bumping up the temperature,not
too much though as i have some plants coming....now i know it won't be
a pinch...like my diddy little tank....but how much should i do ?
:-D

Boredomb 09-25-2013 02:07 PM

Can't tell ya the exact amount to use but can tell ya that you want enough to get to about 4-5ppm of ammonia. You want to keep it around those number during the entire cycling process. Soo checking those numbers daily is best so you know when to add more.

willow 09-25-2013 02:52 PM

thank you :-D

BWG 09-25-2013 03:36 PM

Pure ammonia (the kind you shake and it doesn't suds up) might be better given how how big that glass box of your's is.

Boredomb 09-25-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwaterguy (Post 3083418)
Pure ammonia (the kind you shake and it doesn't suds up) might be better given how how big that glass box of your's is.

It would definitely be easier to add the right amounts to keep the lvl up where they need to be ammonia can be hard to find nowadays.

Boredomb 09-25-2013 04:21 PM

Willow I didn't realize that that tank was almost a 100 gallons!

Pure ammonia if you can get it would be a heck of a lit easier to add and control in that size tank as BWG has said already. Its going to take a lot of fish food for that size tank to cycle it.

willow 09-26-2013 03:36 AM

hey guys.
yes i thinking on it i would be making more hard work than would need to be !
i should be able to upload a couple of pictures later i hope,as i've
swapped back to my iPhone,and i know how to upload onto my pc:oops:
( hope no one noticed i'm not the brightest crayon in the box :lol: )
been building equipment in the tank,decor and stuff,heaters,which i'm placing
diagonal,as there seems to be a debate in cyber space about horizontal not
being good and OMG i've forgotten the test kit......for pete's sake !!:roll:
i'll post a pic of the filter too,it's a canister,but some funky make from
fleabay,heavens know what it will be like....i hope not noisy !

pop 09-26-2013 05:16 AM

hello:
that is an interesting piece of information about 4 or 5 ppm ammonia for cycling. Soon i will be cycling a small tank and was thinking of using a cap full of ammonia every few days, I guess that would be too much now. Would using a greater amount of ammonia result in a larger colony of bacteria? one other question will plants retard the cycling process or would it be better to add plants before cycling? I am thinking of stemmed rooted plants. after the tank is cycled and if i choose to not have any livestock with the exception of some snails would i need to continue dosing ammonia for the plants and bacterial colonies. tank size is about 25 gal.
pop

Boredomb 09-26-2013 07:08 AM

To high of ammonia can cause the cycling process to stall I have read anything over 5ppm. I don't know have never cycled a tank this just know what I have read. If you use ammonia that is 10% concentration it takes about 4-5ml for every 10 gallons of water to reach 4ppm of ammonia. One teaspoon eguals 5mls. Though I have read that this can vary too. Soo just start with one teaspoon at a time to get to about 3ppm testing as you go.

I was also a lil off on my numbers you want no more then 5ppm and most recommend shooting for 3ppm for cycling a tank. So say 2-4ppm is the goal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 09-26-2013 07:13 AM

Pops too high of ammonia can cause issues with plants but if you dose it at small amounts and shot for 3ppm they will be fine. Plants will consume the ammonia to a point soo not sure how they would affect the cycling process. You could always add them afterwards. Or you can just plant heavily from the beginning with fast growers such as stems/floaters and stock the tank very lightly and be fine. Doing it that way you should see no visible cycle process but you need to stock slowly this way.
Posted via Mobile Device