Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Lights for 25 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/lights-25-gallon-tank-274209/)

Pearl2011 09-24-2013 06:34 PM

Lights for 25 gallon tank?

I'm saving up for a better light for my 25g fish tank I was wondering what are some good light fixtures? I know for T-5 AND 8's (I think) it should be 2-3 w/g but is that the same with LED? And what is better for plants??

Sakura8 09-25-2013 12:48 AM

Regardless of whether it's fluorescent or LED, the kind of light you want for plants is full spectrum or daylight with RGB accents. With LED, I actually honestly don't know to what extent wattage plays since LEDs as a rule emit low wattage but still have a very bright light.

If you want to get an LED fixture, I would suggest getting one that advertises itself as specifically for planted tanks or having features for planted tanks. That way, you are most likely to be getting bright enough light for low to medium light plants.

I use a Marineland Planted Aquarium fixture but I would not recommend it because it's very expensive and the housing gets crazy hot (seriously, it's LED and I thought those were supposed to be cooler-running!). I only got it because I really needed the built-in timer feature as I had nowhere to plug in a timer.

I actually really recommend this for an LED planted fixture:

It's not too expensive as LEDS go and has the requirements needed for a planted tank.

Fluval has some new LEDs out too that may be worth looking into.

Pearl2011 09-25-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 3080681)
Regardless of whether it's fluorescent or LED, the kind of light you want for plants is full spectrum or daylight with RGB accents. With LED, I actually honestly don't know to what extent wattage plays since LEDs as a rule emit low wattage but still have a very bright light.

If you want to get an LED fixture, I would suggest getting one that advertises itself as specifically for planted tanks or having features for planted tanks. That way, you are most likely to be getting bright enough light for low to medium light plants.

I use a Marineland Planted Aquarium fixture but I would not recommend it because it's very expensive and the housing gets crazy hot (seriously, it's LED and I thought those were supposed to be cooler-running!). I only got it because I really needed the built-in timer feature as I had nowhere to plug in a timer.

Amazon.com: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 18-Inch: Pet Supplies

It's not too expensive as LEDS go and has the requirements needed for a planted tank.

Amazon.com: Fluval Daylight Aqualife & Plant LED Aquarium Lamp, Adjustable from 24" to 34" Length: Pet Supplies

Thanks :) Ill look into those. Hopefully I can save up enough money to afford them, though :/

AndrewM21 09-25-2013 09:51 PM

Make your own!

I made a 156W CFL fixture (5k) to go on my 75G for a fraction of the cost and the bulbs are much cheaper to replace (I believe a 4pk was $9 or $10 @ lowes). I haven't had any plant problems since replacing the T8's and properly dosing my ferts. (Although if you don't have plants, the price factor is what really applies here).

I believe the total cost of the build was $40 or $50. But this was for a 75G tank, you'll come out much much cheaper since you would need far less material.

The purchasable ones are easier though, so I suppose it depends on how you feel about the "DIY" area.

Good luck :)

avraptorhal 09-29-2013 03:32 PM

[/quote]

I have the Finnex Fuge Ray II on my 5.5G(16") Betta tank with live low light wisteria and crypts plants. I have to trim the plants at every other WC. So I guess the light is adequate for low light plants.

Pearl2011 10-02-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 3085762)
Make your own!

I made a 156W CFL fixture (5k) to go on my 75G for a fraction of the cost and the bulbs are much cheaper to replace (I believe a 4pk was $9 or $10 @ lowes). I haven't had any plant problems since replacing the T8's and properly dosing my ferts. (Although if you don't have plants, the price factor is what really applies here).

I believe the total cost of the build was $40 or $50. But this was for a 75G tank, you'll come out much much cheaper since you would need far less material.

The purchasable ones are easier though, so I suppose it depends on how you feel about the "DIY" area.

Good luck :)

Oh that sounds good!! Ill see if I could get the same things at Home Depot or Rona. Is there anything i should look for or be carefulabout when/if I do DIY?