Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   What is the most Docile of the Puffers? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/what-most-docile-puffers-27413/)

krazygideon 08-17-2009 06:06 AM

What is the most Docile of the Puffers?

im aware that puffers are really mean.

what are the nicest puffers that i can put in a community tank?

TRIGGERMAN 12-02-2009 06:48 PM

I would say NONE I had two different kinds of puffers 1 was a fahaka and the other was like an inch I'm not sure what it was someone gave it to me but they were both vicious. Nipped at all the fins of my other fish making the whole tank look like crap. Not to mention even the tiny 1 killed about a dozen fish. The big 1 I had to seperate in a net breeder then eventually isolate and have a tank for him by himself til he died a slow miserable death lol.

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 07:00 PM

i would also say none...........just because the fact, you never know the "personality" of any fish, and the reputation that puffers carry with them...........You could get lucky with any type of puffer and find out its a *****cat, but considering most will terrorize the other fish, i wouldnt chance the fins and lives of my other fish........If you want one, a species only tank would be best

onefish2fish 12-03-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 284087)
i would also say none...........just because the fact, you never know the "personality" of any fish, and the reputation that puffers carry with them...........You could get lucky with any type of puffer and find out its a *****cat, but considering most will terrorize the other fish, i wouldnt chance the fins and lives of my other fish........If you want one, a species only tank would be best

+1

Kelso 12-03-2009 01:15 AM

Wrong...no offense =P Amazon Puffers do very well in community tanks and actually are so peaceful that you have to watch out for aggressiveness from OTHER tank mates to the puffer. They are that peaceful.

All other species, freshwater and brackish, are aggressive.

FishDude 12-05-2009 01:52 PM

Puffer

Hmm i know alot of puffers have a bad reputation but Green Spotted Puffers are extremely docile. Ive had 2 of them (not together) and at no point have they ever attacked or even bothered any other fish. They are reasonably easy to look after, weekly 1/3rd water change just to keep the ph almost neutral. Ive kept them with danios, albino catfish, glass catfish, dwarf gouramis and golden gouramis, most of which are quite small fish but they simply leave them alone and although apparently carnivorous they arent interested in fighting or eating other fish. Gotta watch out with their teeth though because they'll grow and cause the fish pain but they'll chomp on snails etc to cut them down.
The only time Green Spotted Puffers (easily confused with amazon puffers) are aggressive is when you put more than one puffer in any tank, they need to be kept singularly :-D