Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   Are Dragon Gobies ok with African Cichlids and a Moray eel? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/dragon-gobies-ok-african-cichlids-moray-27404/)

krazygideon 08-16-2009 10:26 PM

Are Dragon Gobies ok with African Cichlids and a Moray eel?

Are Dragon Gobies ok with African Cichlids and a Moray eel?

Twistersmom 08-16-2009 10:38 PM

I think a dragon goby would do fine with a " fresh" water moray eel, if you have a large enough tank to house both of them. They recommend at least a 120 gal for a moray eel, both fish are brackish.
I do not know of any African cichlids that live in brackish.

krazygideon 08-17-2009 04:54 AM

ive been reading up on all the african cichlids i have and they all can handle 8.0 ph so im really excited about that

Twistersmom 08-17-2009 10:30 AM

They do like a high ph, but not brackish.
I have read that any aggressive fish, such as the African cichlids, should not be housed with the eel. The eel will take to hiding, same with the dragon goby, it has no real way of defending its self.

The cichlids may be a better choice anyway, a 120 gal brackish tank would not be cheap to maintain.

TRIGGERMAN 12-02-2009 05:52 PM

African cichlids

twister how are you a "super moderator" of a fish forum and you say you never heard of african cichlids living in brackish water? They ARE brackish water fish. They are from the SALT lakes of africa :hmm:

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 06:16 PM

A moderator is not always the all knowing person we think they should be on a forum topic, they dont need to be, they are here for the website.............She is here to moderate the website for unwanted violations and and bad, nasty comments left by members...........Twistermom is a very knowledgable hobbyist...................

Do you know Lake Malawi contains very little sodium............Malawi is not considered a brackish lake, it is freshwater.......The Salts that lake malawi fish require are mineral salts and not your brackish required salts that are basically, mostly sodium...........

Before you bust somebody's chops, you should know the facts yourself.............

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 06:19 PM

Now to the post...........I agree with Twistermom..........The africans are gonna be too aggressive for the goby i think.........The eel is gonna need a huge tank, so unless you have a big tank(100 plus), i wouldnt consider it.............

TRIGGERMAN 12-02-2009 06:28 PM

I happen to have 4 african tanks and all the africans I bought are brackish water and every pet store including generic ones like petland,petco etc. sells all africans in brackish water..that is the way they always are. I didn't say she didn't know anything about fish just stating that her information was incorrect. Lake Malawi, in its water chemistry (notably, its total ion concentration, or alkalinity, and its resulting electrical conductivity), is intermediate between Lakes Victoria and Tanganyika, and much more similar to Lake Victoria. Which are both brackish lakes,not to mention the fact that lake malawi or any other specific lake was neevr even mentioned. "African cichlids" was the only thing the guy said. Perhaps you should read carefully before putting your foot in your mouth. ;)

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 06:47 PM

I have been raising africans for 20 years..............Look at a bottle of rift lake salt additive and a salt additive for brackish water.........totally different in mineral content........Naturally i guessed he meant the "Lake" cichlids..............Maybe he did mean Pelvicachromis Taeniatus or maybe he meant the Steatocranus Casuarius ?

I have never heard of the 3 lakes referred to as brackish water............So do you test your salt content of your tanks?

Twistersmom 12-02-2009 07:11 PM

I said, that I do not know of any African cichlids that live in brackish, and that is a true statement. I do not claim to be an expert, I just try to offer advice when I can. If you know of African Cichlids that will do well in brackish, with a Dragon Goby and a Moray Eel, please offer your information.
I doubt that krazygideon will be checking in, since this thread was started on 8/16/09, but at least others that are interested, will have the correct information.
I have never kept African Cichlids. The only brackish cichlids I have, are Orange Chromides, that are housed with a Dragon Goby.