Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Blue Gourami Chasing dwarf!!! help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/blue-gourami-chasing-dwarf-help-27398/)

carlsolomon 08-16-2009 10:06 PM

Blue Gourami Chasing dwarf!!! help

:-?
What should i do?
my blue gourami is chasing my dwarf gourami in the 55 gallon trying to nip its fins.

should i get more of one kind or what take one back?

Twistersmom 08-16-2009 10:17 PM

With gouramis, adding more will probably not help. Adding some floating plants, real or fake on opposites sides of the aquarium might help. Then they will both have their own retreat area.
If that does not fix the problem, then it would be best to return one of them.

carlsolomon 08-16-2009 11:23 PM

ok ill try doing that
thanks alot

DragonFish 08-17-2009 12:16 PM

+1 to Twistermoms advice

Though, in most cases I might advise adding a third Gourami to even out aggression, here I would not. Blues, IME, are just plain evil, relentless, and smart. Had a male that whipped out an entire tank of snails+all my Tetras and Rasboras save for one in less then two weeks. I'd also never keep more then one Dwarf in the same tank unless your positive only one is male, which is almost impossible seeing as almost all Dwarfs sold are males.

Plant cover may help so they can establish territories but, like TM said, if the problem persists I'd take one back of I were you....most likely the Blue is the on you'd want to return.

Best of luck!

British 08-17-2009 12:31 PM

Dragon, are female Gouramis less aggressive? I'm going to get a Gourami for my mixed community. I think they only have Honeys at my Petsmart, though. They just hover in one spot, is that normal? Also, how do you tell the difference in a male/female gourami other than dwarf blue? Sorry about all the questions. :P

DragonFish 08-17-2009 01:01 PM

IME they are less aggressive, and(if you must keep more then one, like me)keeping a male with 2+ females, in theory, will cause less casualties and stress.
I don't think its normal for any fish to hover in one spot, I've never seen any Gourami do this either. If thats your only place to by them and you must have one, I'd say Quarantine it for a while if you can so it doesn't spread anything to your other fish if it does have something. :-)
Males will have pointed dorsal and anal fins while the females will be rounder(in most species). Females will also be notably rounder in the belly area. In my 50 there is a mature male Dwarf and my 10 has a mature Female Honey, you can look at the pictures of both as a reference if you'd like ;-)

British 08-17-2009 01:11 PM

Okay. I mean, I'm sure if the lady were to stick the net in, they'd flip, but otherwise they ALL remain stationary. I don't have anything to quarantine it in other than a glass vase.. Charlene's frogs' tank isn't cycled so I couldn't move him out temporarily and put the gourami in that. The ammonia alone would kill the poor thing almost instantly. (Readings of 8+ppm)

carlsolomon 08-17-2009 11:06 PM

alright thanks for the help ill take the blue one back tomorrow for some more aussie rainbows to bumo up the school