Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   New with my first tank and preggo fishies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/new-my-first-tank-preggo-fishies-27372/)

MidnightBaelfire 08-16-2009 02:21 PM

New with my first tank and preggo fishies?

Hey everyone,

A little over two months ago, my friend gave me her ten gallon tank with two black skirted tetras, a swordtail, a dalmation molly, a placo (don't know how to spell its full name :P) and a female betta.

A few weeks later the molly gave birth to a bunch of fry and since I didn't have a breeding trap at the time, I lost a bunch. After getting a trap I managed to save five. One disappeared (I still don't know what happened to it) and three died for some reason. The one I managed to save is now thriving in my mother's much bigger tank.

Then the molly gave birth again (I managed to save all 11 and they are growing fast!) but my filter died as did the one I bought after. I managed to get a new one that works but my molly died the other day.

I have a question, it only took me a couple days to get a working filter, but is that why she died? And if so am I at risk of loosing my fry?

Also one of my tetras suddenly got much bigger than the other one and its belly is getting quite pudgy. How do you tell the difference between male and female? If its a female and she's pregnant can I put her fry with the molly fry(they are still too small for the main tank).

I know I have a lot of questions but I'm new to fish care and am still not quite sure I know what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Midnight

Little-Fizz 08-21-2009 01:04 AM

Tetras are very difficult to sex. I wish I knew how because I would love to breed them, perhaps it's just eating to much?

Your molly died because all of the beneficial bacteria that was in your filter was taken when you switched filters. Your fry are at great risk, do you have a water tester? If not, get a liquid one, API is good, get the master test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. Have you ever looked into the cycle of a fish tank?

Do 25% water changes daily until you can get a water test kit and confirm that your tank is going through a mini cycle. Mollies do get rather big though, if you can upgrade to a 20 gallon. Bigger is better. How did the molly get pregnant? :| There is only one?

FishySuzy 08-21-2009 02:06 AM

I'm guessing Mollies are like Guppies in that sense, LF. Wouldn't be unheard of, I'm sure.

Little-Fizz 08-21-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishySuzy (Post 230758)
I'm guessing Mollies are like Guppies in that sense, LF. Wouldn't be unheard of, I'm sure.

What?? :| I'm confused now, what do you mean? Are you referring to the fact that they can store sperm? It sounds like this molly has lived alone for a while, I could be wrong though. Well I must be wrong if she is pregnant.

MidnightBaelfire 08-22-2009 10:13 AM

I don't have a water tester but I will get one. Thanks for the advice.

I found out that they do store sperm. Apparently they can give birth three or four times after one mating.

I lost one of the babies yesterday but the others still seem healthy and happy