Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   school of barbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/school-barbs-2734/)

Neufusion 01-24-2007 03:34 PM

school of barbs

When articles and people recommmend a minumum number of barbs (6-8) to form a school, do the barbs all have to be the same color?

Will tiger barbs school with albino tiger barbs, green tiger barbs, and/or gold tiger barbs?

FDStation152 01-24-2007 03:44 PM

Not sure when it comes to tiger barbs but when my lone colombian tetra was put in a tank with some praecox rainbowfish (similer coloring) he joined up with them. He never followed around any other schools of fish though including other tetras so the coloring might be more important than the type of fish.

Lupin 01-24-2007 08:38 PM

Re: school of barbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neufusion
When articles and people recommmend a minumum number of barbs (6-8) to form a school, do the barbs all have to be the same color?

Not all barbs school. Cherry barbs are one of those that don't. They do not need to be kept in groups although they do better when kept in groups because they tend to display with each other a lot. It depends on what species you have.
Quote:

Will tiger barbs school with albino tiger barbs, green tiger barbs, and/or gold tiger barbs?
Yes.

Lupin 01-24-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDStation152
Not sure when it comes to tiger barbs but when my lone colombian tetra was put in a tank with some praecox rainbowfish (similer coloring) he joined up with them. He never followed around any other schools of fish though including other tetras so the coloring might be more important than the type of fish.

Another popular example is the schooling of neons and cardinals.:wink2:

musho3210 01-24-2007 08:41 PM

what about leopards and zebra danios schooling? does that work?

FDStation152 01-24-2007 08:53 PM

most likely. in fact one of the local shops around here tends to keep them all in one tank and theyre all mixed together.

Lupin 01-24-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDStation152
most likely. in fact one of the local shops around here tends to keep them all in one tank and theyre all mixed together.

Agreed. Although I'd say it is very possible that they'll shoal as I had them before. Leopards actually do not appear to exist in the wild like the gold barbs(Barbus schuberti) and were said to be another variant of the zebra.

miagrrl 06-20-2007 01:34 AM

i haven't had any success mixing albino tiger barbs with other tiger colors (orange and green do just fine together).

xxthrwitdwnxx 06-20-2007 08:52 AM

it all depends i have two tanks with barbs in one they all keep to the same but in the other they all hang out

cjz722c 07-02-2007 03:36 PM

I personally think it should be fine. They had some green tiger barbs with regular tiger barbs at my pet store and they are getting along well. I think you should try it.