Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Please help! All my fish are dying! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/please-help-all-my-fish-dying-273353/)

ShukiAi 09-23-2013 03:03 PM

Please help! All my fish are dying!

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help!

This all started in my established (about 7 months now) 30g tank. Mid last week I did a 50% water change and vacuumed the gravel per usual. A couple days later I brought home 2 guppies and 4 ghost shrimp. I added them after acclimation and things seemed fine. Until about an hour later I found one of the new guppies dead. Then the next day I found the other new guppy dead as well.

My first thought was that they had just been too stressed... but then my other fish started dying off one by one! I've lost 12 fish total now and 3 more aren't looking too hot right now. They go up to the top of the water to breath and then have trouble swimming, floating around in the current of the filter.

My tank contains...
2 Dwarf Rainbows (3 died)
6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (none died yet, but one is having trouble swimming now)
3 Neons (3 died)
3 Guppies (6 died)
4 Ghost Shrimp
1 Zebra snail
2 Otocats

2 Anubias plants
2 pieces of driftwood
I also have fake plants and gravel

At first I thought it was because I introduced the new fish...but I just checked my parameters and the Nitrate isn't looking good...
pH: 8.2 (has always been high)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0-10 ppm (and I think this is where my problem is coming from)

Please, can some tell me what I can do!? I feel AWFUL. I feel so helpless and my poor fish just keep dying off. I want to help them somehow. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

ShukiAi 09-23-2013 05:45 PM

Is there anyone who can help? Another fish has now died. T__T

KPainter 09-23-2013 05:58 PM

Do a water change at least, making sure to dechlorinate the water.

ShukiAi 09-23-2013 07:36 PM

I'm going to do a water change right now. I think I'm losing another of my Rainbows. :(

Sakura8 09-24-2013 02:10 PM

It sounds like the new fish introduced something into the aquarium or caused enough stress that the fish became sick and succumbed to an existing disease. :(

Another possibility is the addition of the new fish significantly reduced available oxygen levels. You said they go up to the surface and then float in the filter current? Try adding an airstone to see if this helps any.

Are there any other symptoms? Hard to make a diagnosis with just the info at hand. Anything else that you can think of?

ShukiAi 09-24-2013 04:25 PM

Well, after last night's 80% water change I'm left with 1 rainbow, 1 neon, 5 white clouds and my otos and shrimp. :(

Also, right now the water has a milky white haze to it. I've seen this happen before after water changes and it usually settles within a few days. So that's not new to me and has never been an issue before.

As for symptoms... just the same as I listed above. They go up to the top for air and float there, otherwise they try to swim and have trouble, usually just getting carried by the current of the filter. The only other thing I can think of is they lose their coloring a bit, but I assume that is due to stress.

As for water perimeters, right now they are...
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm - or just slightly above that

I'm guessing it's the two guppies I introduced. Damn... I guess that'll teach me to have a quarantine tank set up. *sigh* I don't know what else it could be.

When I go out to the store I will buy an air stone and see if that makes any difference. But if anyone else has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thank you.

Sakura8 09-24-2013 05:06 PM

If it's not an air issue, then it could possibly be the guppies introduced gill flukes into the tank. Try Quick Cure, as this has formalin as one of its ingredients which is supposed to be very effective against flukes.

Did you do a partial change? Did the milky haze start after or before the change?

ShukiAi 09-24-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 3076601)
If it's not an air issue, then it could possibly be the guppies introduced gill flukes into the tank. Try Quick Cure, as this has formalin as one of its ingredients which is supposed to be very effective against flukes.

Did you do a partial change? Did the milky haze start after or before the change?

Ick...is there any way to see the flukes? Or are they too small to see with the naked eye?

And the haze started after the water change I did yesterday... but like I said, that's normal and has never been a problem before. ???

ShukiAi 09-24-2013 11:29 PM

So I just had a thought... when I did my normal water change last week, I (for some reason) changed out the filter cartridge. Normally I wait a couple days after I do a water change. Do you think my tank started over and is cycling again? This is the only other thing I can think of. :/

ao 09-25-2013 12:19 AM

Your parameter don't indicate a dropped cycle... I would go with what sakura has said and look into medication. It is likely no co-incidence that your fish started dying after you brought new fish home :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App