Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Juwel Rio 125 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/juwel-rio-125-a-2726/)

soundsdigital 01-24-2007 11:36 AM

Juwel Rio 125

Just bought the Juwel Rio 125 as a second tank. As the name suggests, it is a 125 litre tank. It comes with filter, lights etc and a 100 Watt heater. I am concerned that 100 Watts is not even nearly big enough to keep 125 litres at 25 degres celcius reliably. Am I being over cautious here? If not, how do Juwel get away with selling things like this. I choose the Juwel since they seem to have the best reputation, but I am wondering how they manage that.

Amphitrite 01-24-2007 12:48 PM

Hello soundsdigital, and welcome to the forum.

A 100 watt heater will be perfectly adequate to maintain the tank at 25 degrees.

I have a couple of juwel tanks myself, and have never had any problems with them at all. Here's the link to their website in case you don't have it.

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/rio.htm?cat=4

soundsdigital 01-24-2007 02:06 PM

Thanks for that, I had been of the belief that as a rule of thumb, you need 50 watts for every 25 litres, meaning I would need 225 watts. Obviously, this rule would vary slightly depending on the dimensions of the tank, as heat radiates primarily from the wate surface, a tall tank would lose less heat than a wide one.

Amphitrite 01-24-2007 02:26 PM

No, temperature won't be a problem. I've raised the temp to 28 degrees on occasion when treating for whitespot and never had a problem maintaining that either.

Out of interest, are you using the Juwel thermometer inside the standard internal plastic filter housing?

musho3210 01-24-2007 03:29 PM

I think you have a 30 gallon aquarium (if my math is right) so a 100 watt heater should be fine, plus incause the thermostat gets stuck it wont overheat your aquarium too fast

Derek-M 01-24-2007 04:08 PM

I have sold juwel for about 10 years now and found no problems at all with them except in an extreme cold environment... I normal household conditions your heater will be ok, but if you are worried at all about it you can always put in a 200 watt, but I don't believe that will be necessary

soundsdigital 01-25-2007 02:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I was concerned that the stat was set at 25 degrees, but the thermometer is only reading 23. Turned the stat to 27 and it now shows 25 on the thermometer. I was concerned it was heating 24/7 and not getting any higher than 23 degrees. Cannot find a light on it to see if it cuts in and out.

Derek-M 01-25-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundsdigital
Thanks for the info. I was concerned that the stat was set at 25 degrees, but the thermometer is only reading 23. Turned the stat to 27 and it now shows 25 on the thermometer. I was concerned it was heating 24/7 and not getting any higher than 23 degrees. Cannot find a light on it to see if it cuts in and out.

I saw the new Juwel heaters last week and they have clear see through glass which will easier to check if they are switching on and off

soundsdigital 01-26-2007 01:28 PM

Cannot see it well as it is inside the filter, a light would have made it easier to see. All the other heaters I have seen have one. I find the filter noisy compared to the fluval in my other tank. In all, I am not that impressed by Juwel. I wish I'd saved the £20 and got the Fluval tank now a few days later when it was back in stock.

Derek-M 01-26-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundsdigital
Cannot see it well as it is inside the filter, a light would have made it easier to see. All the other heaters I have seen have one. I find the filter noisy compared to the fluval in my other tank. In all, I am not that impressed by Juwel. I wish I'd saved the £20 and got the Fluval tank now a few days later when it was back in stock.

If the filter is noisy I would get it checked out by the retailer as there should be no noise..I have sold many hundreds of Juwel systems and I have only had a handfull of complaints and all were easily fixed