Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Final Fish Choices (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/final-fish-choices-272394/)

Nemo74 09-22-2013 01:40 AM

Final Fish Choices

OK after reading and doing some more reading, I wanted to run down what fish I'm going to put in my tank tomorrow afternoon. I'll go with what I have and then what I want to add with a bit of an advice question at the end.

I have in my 28g bowfront:
2 x Cherry barbs
4 x Bloodfin Tetra
2 x Celebes Rainbow

When Finished I would have

5 x cherry barbs
5 x bloodfin's
5 x Celebes Rainbows
1x German Blue Ram
?? x Bottom Feeder(s)

The bottom feeder part I just don't know what is good, there are so many choices I just don't know. I don't have a large tank and I don't want to overstock. On Aqadvisor with the current setup it says I'm at 88% capacity and have plenty of room for filtration.

Feel free to tear my list apart or what ever, I had one failed tank and I just want to have an awesome one this time!

Thanks!

Aqua Hound 09-22-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo74 (Post 3058738)
OK after reading and doing some more reading, I wanted to run down what fish I'm going to put in my tank tomorrow afternoon. I'll go with what I have and then what I want to add with a bit of an advice question at the end.

2 x Cherry barbs
4 x Bloodfin Tetra
2 x Celebes Rainbow

5 x cherry barbs
5 x bloodfin's
5 x Celebes Rainbows
1x German Blue Ram
?? x Bottom Feeder(s)

The bottom feeder part I just don't know what is good, there are so many choices I just don't know. I don't have a large tank and I don't want to overstock. On Aqadvisor with the current setup it says I'm at 88% capacity and have plenty of room for filtration.

Feel free to tear my list apart or what ever, I had one failed tank and I just want to have an awesome one this time!

Thanks!

I wanna see a picture of this tank it sounds like a good group but a picture would do more justice! :-D

Nemo74 09-22-2013 12:35 PM

the Aquarium tab above my profile has a picture of my tank.

jaysee 09-22-2013 12:59 PM

welcome to the forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo74 (Post 3058738)

2 x Cherry barbs
4 x Bloodfin Tetra
2 x Celebes Rainbow

5 x cherry barbs
5 x bloodfin's
5 x Celebes Rainbows
1x German Blue Ram
?? x Bottom Feeder(s)

Thanks!

Aqadvisor is a VERY conservative stocking guide, so I would not be overly concerned with the percentages.

If you want an awesome tank, I highly recommend that you get larger schools. Aside from looking better and being more interesting to watch, a larger group is better for the fish. You can shoot for 8 of each and see where you may want to fill in.

henningc 09-22-2013 01:44 PM

The tank is great, but hold the horses fish folks. I think the current plan is good as it is conservitive and allows for future additions. Keep in mind, too much change and you screw up the water chemistry or make the tank unstable. Once you do, just removing fish doesn't fix it. Go slow. Add the larger shaols after you see what the new additions do to the tank, say wait 10-14 days.

Pigmy corys would be an awsome addition and low on the bioload scale. 6-8 would be just a blip on the water quality. Larger corys, 6 will do ya. As for the Ram, add plenty of structure so he stays near the bottom and dosen't start chasing schoals of tetras. He would do it for fun, but hey I'm not a tetra either.

jaysee 09-22-2013 02:08 PM

No one should fully stock their tank overnight, even if the filtration can handle it - especially if you don't quarantine. Most people that quarantine their tanks do so for 2-4 weeks. Myself and others do a minimum of 4 weeks. There is NOTHING good that can come from stocking too quickly, and adding fish every week or two is much too fast. Water quality is not the only reason not to add all your fish at once. You can read up on quarantining to learn more about the importance of this practice.

Nemo74 09-22-2013 02:34 PM

The ones few that I have had in there now, have been in there for about 2 weeks. I don't have a quarantine tank, so I'm kind of stuck in that area. Do you think I just then just slowly add fish? Like I said I do not mind waiting. I want to do this tank right and make sure the fish are just in fishy paradise.

jaysee 09-22-2013 02:49 PM

It would be wise to get one. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.

I think you should wait at least a month between additions. My preference is to do one school at a time, but I suppose it doesn't matter too much if you were to add a couple of each at a time.

Aqua Hound 09-22-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo74 (Post 3061066)
the Aquarium tab above my profile has a picture of my tank.

Alright I got it now kinda new to the forum ;) Yeah I like this and would love to see you plant it up along with some awesome schools of feesh!