Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Filter Media Question

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  JouteiMike 
#1 ·
So, I've got a 5 gallon aquarium with 5 teon tetras and a snail in it. I recently switched my filter from a Whisper filter to a Fluval 1+ filter. I've noticed that the water now feels slimy or sticky when touched and there is a film on the surface of the water. The Whisper filter had a waterfall effect so I can only assume that was why there was never a film on top of the water with that filter.

So, my question is, what kind of filter media should I put in my new Fluval filter, to help keep it clean and clear? It currently has only a block of foam in it for a filter media, I can only assume for mechanical filtration. I was thinking of cutting the block in half and adding a panty-hose full of carbon and panty-hose with bio balls in it. This was modeled after the AquaClear 20 filtration method. Would this make the slime go away? Thanks!

#2 ·
If you get some surface aggitation going the slick will go away. I had the same problem w/ my 75g tank. I put a canister filter on and it doesn't aggitate the surface like the hob filters do. I threw a cheap hob filter on and the slime was gone within a couple of hours. I THINK I read that it could be a protein buildup.

#3 ·
you could also try getting just a air stone or power head, anything that breaks the water surface really, you might also want to try moving ur outflow to where it breaks the water surface. remember when the surface of the water inst being agitated there inst any gas exchange going on be carefull or your water paramiters.

moeny

#4 ·
another idea that i use was to build a box type filter utilizing an air stone to run it. the filtration is great and the bubles help to disturb the surface.
you gan get a lot of DIY instructions on Google Video and then modify them to suit your needs. i spent around $25 and have enough to build eight more or just maintain the one i have for 10-11 months :-D!!

#5 ·
Great suggestions to deal with the symptom of getting rid of the "film", but what concerns me was when I read that you water felt slimy and sticky. It would be nice to solve the cause. On previous tank set ups of mine I had a canister filter that was wasn't positioned to agitate the water surface and I had no ill effects in terms of how the water looked or felt.

I would like to find out more information about the tank, like water parameters, feeding schedule, occupants (any besides the neons?), pH, cleaning schedule.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.