Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   starting a small freshwater tank, suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/starting-small-freshwater-tank-suggestions-2719/)

themowingmonk 01-24-2007 03:31 AM

starting a small freshwater tank, suggestions

Hey, right now im a college student living in the dorms, i recently got busted for having a large collection of reptiles in my room and had to take them all home, but i still want a pet in the dorms. unfortunatly the rule is i must have something aquatic in a small tank.

So i wanna start a 5 gallon or less preferable freshwater tank, but no idea what to put in it. i need suggestions of fish (besides tetras, betta, and goldfish) that can live in that small of a tank, or any other kind of aquatic animals (which i would actually prefer over a fish) the weirder the better like shrimp or some kind of invert, i just want some kind of interesting aquatic (or even semi aquatic) animal that i can keep in a 5 gallon or smaller tank. so you guys get any suggestion im all ears. thanks

Matt 01-24-2007 09:10 AM

Try Plattys, they get 2 inchs long and they breed realy easy.

soco1125 01-24-2007 09:36 AM

Hello fellow student! :) You could put a bunch of plants and driftwood in it for cherry or amano shrimp... they're very cute. I'm actually thinking of setting up a separate tank just for cherry shrimp because it looks so good. Or you could turn the tank into a vivarium for newts. I think there are a couple of people on here who keep them.

Matt 01-24-2007 12:46 PM

I Keep a Newt but He can be a Pain in the Booty.

musho3210 01-24-2007 03:25 PM

you newt is a pain since it doesnt have enough room, cmon matt get two more tanks for your newt and betta please

tophat665 01-24-2007 10:18 PM

In a 5 gallon tank, you could do 1 dwarf puffer or 3 to 5 ottos or 5 pygmy cories or 5 bumblebee gobies (brackish), or 5 or 6 dwarf rasboras of some sort (microrasbora maculata) or a couple of male Endlers or a couple 2 or 3 sparkling gouramis, or you could do a shrimp tank.

What do they mean by small, though? Is a 20 long small? Howabout a 15? Once you get to the 15, you really expand your choices a lot.

Matt 01-24-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
you newt is a pain since it doesnt have enough room, cmon matt get two more tanks for your newt and betta please

He does since I majorly re-aranged the tank.

musho3210 01-24-2007 10:37 PM

room meaning a tank by himself, just because he can move doesnt mean he has more "room"

Matt 01-24-2007 10:43 PM

Hes perfectly fine were he is except for the sick Platty.
My friend breeds newts and he said the setup is just fine.

Lupin 01-24-2007 10:46 PM

Let's stay on topic.:wink2: Or I'll find my self splitting those posts again if they completely veer the original topic away.:blueshake: