Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help! My Fish Keep Dying! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-my-fish-keep-dying-271426/)

Dveha 09-20-2013 07:12 PM

Help! My Fish Keep Dying!

I lost another fish today. That makes 2 this month :(

I don't understand what's causing this.
My black Molly seemed healthy. My temperature is good. My tank ammonia, nitrates, nitrites are 0. My pH is 8.2 (normal). My plants are thriving. What can I do to help my fishies survive. I don't want to buy more (i am down to 3) until I know whats wrong :(

Keleborn 09-20-2013 08:17 PM

I was looking at your maintenance log & trying to figure out how your pH went from 7.0 to 8.2, without an ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spike. In itself, a change of pH like that over a short period of time can stress certain fish too much.

Keleborn 09-20-2013 08:29 PM

Also, what is the KH of your tap water? It says your tank KH went from moderate to very high, usually an indication that salts have been added to the water. Do you, or have you, put any salt in the tank? If not, is your tap water city or well water?

willow 09-21-2013 11:12 AM

hello there.
to help you,we need much more information please on your aquarium.:-)
how long has it been running.
the amount and what species of fish.
exact temperature reading.
exact water readings.because if they are truly all at 0 your tank is not cycled ?
did you cycle your aquarium before adding fish,and if you did how ?
if you could answer,it would be great thanks. :-)

Blue fin 09-21-2013 11:28 AM

I have had the same issues. I have bought everything they tell me and still my fish die.
They say it's a process of balancing the water in the tank. PH, bacteria, etc.
If you are using tap water you need to condition it every time you put water in the tank.

Hope this helps. Blue Fin

willow 09-21-2013 11:31 AM

good point Blue fin,i forgot to ask that.

marshallsea 09-21-2013 11:11 PM

Don't add anymore fish. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. It's very odd to have 0-ammonia nitrites and nitrates. I would say your tank is not cycled and it will keep killing your fish until it cycles.

marshallsea 09-21-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue fin (Post 3053882)
I have had the same issues. I have bought everything they tell me and still my fish die.
They say it's a process of balancing the water in the tank. PH, bacteria, etc.
If you are using tap water you need to condition it every time you put water in the tank.

Hope this helps. Blue Fin

It's not balancing the water , it's the nitrogen cycle you need.

Aqua Hound 09-22-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 3057602)
It's not balancing the water , it's the nitrogen cycle you need.

I agree and in order to achieve balance in your tank, the tank must be cycled correctly. I love using Prime to dechlorinate my water, however, if the tank is not cycled then you will have this ongoing problem of dying fish. Here is a video on the Nitrogen Cycle that I made and I hope this helps you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhBHxzV1jqI

Dveha 09-23-2013 09:26 AM

To understand my log, when I first started testing I was using strip testing, which was indicating my pH levels at 7.0. I switched to a better water testing kit which shows my tap at 8.0 pH and tank water typically around 8.2 pH. I pay little attention to the readings prior to the change in testing kits because they were so inconsistent.

My tank has been up since June but I only stocked it about 2 months ago after fishless cycles on the tank were complete (or so I thought). I had a small ammonia problem a little over a month ago, but my test readings since adding my plants have been stable (a month ago).

Other than adding aquarium salt/water conditioner when I do my weekly water changes, I haven't added any other chemicals to my tank.