Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Can I run only a skimmer and live rock? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/can-i-run-only-skimmer-live-2714/)

jockkustow 01-23-2007 08:08 PM

Can I run only a skimmer and live rock?

I have a 55 gallon fish /invert tank with lots of live rock and live sand. I currently run a cannister filter and a skimmer. Do I really need the cannister. My rock is well established as well as the sand. I want to eliminate the cannister because I have a bad habit of letting the cannister go to long without cleaning, and feel I am just circulating my water through crap. I have heard the sand and rock are enough with a skimmer. anybody actually try this?

jockkustow 01-23-2007 08:13 PM

a little bit about my tank

55 gallon
1 blue hippo tang
1 yellow tang
1 tomato clown
1 serpent star
1 brittle star
1 chocolate chip star
2 peppermint shrimp
assorted blue/red hermits, and snails.

caferacermike 01-24-2007 04:30 PM

Too difficult to tell without knowing more about your skimmer. Most are junk copies of really nice skimmers. In theory yes.

jockkustow 01-25-2007 11:56 AM

triing to run with only a skimmer, sand and rock

I think the skimmer is a clone of a cpr backpack. It hangs on the back and seems to be foaming a bit more since taking out the cannister. I think it has like a rio 800 pump on it .

caferacermike 01-25-2007 04:12 PM

Your parameters might stay the same or get a little better but your water will not be sparkly clear with such a small skimmer.

dustin323 01-26-2007 11:36 AM

I would have to agree with caferacermike. The skimmer is kind of small & the real CPR Bak-Pak isn't all that great. You can also run a refugium to help out with filtration. In my tank all I have is a skimmer, refugium, & live rock. Levels are perfect. Canisters aren't the best for saltwater, especially a reef. You need to wash the media in old tank water once a month to maintain it properly. I wouldn't take off the canister all at once. Instead slowly remove the media. So it causes no spikes in your parameters/

Gump 01-26-2007 05:09 PM

The backpacks suck so bad. I've never bought one but i have been given a few and traded rocks for another one and even with a few on a tank they still couldnt do the job of one berlin that i had after them.

luckie8 04-07-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin323
Canisters aren't the best for saltwater, especially a reef. You need to wash the media in old tank water once a month to maintain it properly.

Sorry for being a noob.
I was going for a 40gal FOWLR with Fluval 305 canister.
Should I skip this canister filter and just go with a good skimmer like C Remore?
I can't run a refugium since I have very limited space in my apartment.
BTW I have 45lb of LR coming with 60lb Aragamax sand

youtubefind 04-07-2007 07:52 PM

do you mean aquaC remora?

luckie8 04-07-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youtubefind
do you mean aquaC remora?

Yes, thats what I mean.
So can I run with just the skimmer without the canister filter or do I need a filter anyway?