Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   125 gallon freshwater help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/125-gallon-freshwater-help-27080/)

mynameismud1977 08-10-2009 02:25 PM

125 gallon freshwater help

i have searched somewhat but cannot find all the answers i need, so if anyone can help me i thank you in advance. i have the oppurtunity to buy a 125 gallon tank but the only concerns i have are that it was a saltwater tank before the guy let his fish go and second ive never attempted to even begin with such a large tank. can anyone tell me a check list or a to do list before i even begin to put fish inside it? im sure there are very smart people here that have been thru this or just may have the wisdom i need. i hope someone may help.
1. any special cleaning before using this as freshwater?
2. what type of filtering would i need? im familiarwith the smaller tanks where the filter just hangs on the tank. no larger than 30 gallons. there are so many types of filters, i dont know where to begin.
3. its gonna be for a few community fish, so what size heater would be needed?
im not trying to find the easy way out here but im a single father of 2 baby grrls and i dont have the resources or the time for trial and error. again i thank anyone in advance for there help and wisdom in making this a success!

MoneyMitch 08-12-2009 01:47 PM

just use a scotch pad u know one of those rough green ones and some warm water and then i would rinse it out. you can go with a number of filters there are so many out there filters just depend on how much you want to spend and what type YOU prefer. since its going to be freshwater planted i assume i would rec a DIY sump but those can be time consuming in just them selves. or you can always get a nice size can filter or even a few hang ons. as far as heating goes you are going to want more than one for such a large tank. maybe two 200 watt heaters or even 300 watt heaters. you also need to get lighting if he still has the salt water lighting setup thats prob gunna be wayyyyy to much light to have a planted aqua unless you plan to add co2 which again that is time consuming to set up and learn how to properly use. but i can get more info for you if thats what you plan to do. as far as maitnance goes your of course going to have to get test kits and a thermo to keep ur paramiters in check. hope this helps

aunt kymmie 08-13-2009 12:09 PM

Is this a glass or acrylic tank? Just curious...

Tyyrlym 08-13-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mynameismud1977 (Post 225230)
1. any special cleaning before using this as freshwater?

No. If the tank has dried out then any nasties that might have been in it are dead. Just clean it like you would any other tank and you'll be fine. One thing though, if its acrylic avoid anything overly abrasive lest you scratch it.

Quote:

2. what type of filtering would i need? im familiarwith the smaller tanks where the filter just hangs on the tank. no larger than 30 gallons. there are so many types of filters, i dont know where to begin.
Well you can either go with a canister set up or HoB's. Either way I'd recommend two filters. Personally I think a pair of Emperor 400's would be able to take care of the tank no problem without the added expense of a canister. If you choose to go with a heavily stocked tank or one with messy fish I'd probably go with canisters though.

Quote:

3. its gonna be for a few community fish, so what size heater would be needed?
It's really about the water volume. With that much water I'd recommend a pair of 200W heaters.

Some other things to note:
1) Leak test the tank. Preferably have the person with the tank fill it before you arrive so you can see it holding water. With this size tank they might not do it but it never hurts to ask.
2) Inspect the seal. Pay close attention to the silicone holding it together. If the outer edges of the fillet are pulling up a little bit its not a big deal. If the main body of the silicone is pulling out though its a problem.
3) If there are any chips or cracks walk away. You cannot repair them and they will get worse. If the tank is cracked or chipped you WILL be cleaning 125 gallons of water out of your living room. Not might, WILL.
4) If the tank is scratched angle for a discount. If it's just scratched on one side you can turn it around. Also note that small scratches appear very large once the tank if full of water and decorated. They will also be directly in your line of site at all times.
5) Ask if the tank has ever been treated with copper bearing meds. If it has and you want to keep shrimp you may want to pass.
6) Ask questions, haggle, and never be afraid to walk away if you're not comfortable with it.