Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Improving plant life (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/improving-plant-life-270474/)

Carbon900 09-19-2013 10:57 AM

Improving plant life

Hello! I did some searching in the forum about this and found tips on replacing tank rocks with soil and substrate. But I'm looking for info on adding soil and substrate to my rocks.

The reason I want to mix it in or simply lay a layer on top is because currently I have a successful planted aquarium without it.

My plants have spread and rooted themselves in some unique ways and it would be utterly destructive to remove them to add substrate and soil. But I want to add s/s to improve the growth and overall health of the plants. Currently they grow. But very slowly. I know it's because of the lack of nutrients. My lighting is not an issue.

So my question is: would it be beneficial enough to put a layer of soil or slightly mix it in? I imagine it would eventually settle under the rocks deep enough for the roots...

Thanks for any tips!

rexpepper651 09-19-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon900 (Post 3041338)
Hello! I did some searching in the forum about this and found tips on replacing tank rocks with soil and substrate. But I'm looking for info on adding soil and substrate to my rocks.

The reason I want to mix it in or simply lay a layer on top is because currently I have a successful planted aquarium without it.

My plants have spread and rooted themselves in some unique ways and it would be utterly destructive to remove them to add substrate and soil. But I want to add s/s to improve the growth and overall health of the plants. Currently they grow. But very slowly. I know it's because of the lack of nutrients. My lighting is not an issue.

So my question is: would it be beneficial enough to put a layer of soil or slightly mix it in? I imagine it would eventually settle under the rocks deep enough for the roots...

Thanks for any tips!

it might help but having too thick of layer of substrate can cause problems. if youre having success growing in gravel then why mess with it?
i have a soil tank and tell you the truth the growth in the plants isnt any better for me then in my sand tank. same lights same ferts and everything. if you are going to switch youre better off just keeping or switching all together.

Carbon900 09-19-2013 11:57 AM

Well currently although living and growing, some plants are beginning to brown and turn transparent. It looks like a nutrient issue. This planted tank used to have goldfish (lots of poop) and has been recycled as a tropical tank. I imagine they aren't getting the same food source they were before.

rexpepper651 09-19-2013 01:38 PM

are you using any root tabs and ferts?

Boredomb 09-19-2013 01:54 PM

If its just a matter of lacking nutrients and you don't want to redo the tank (cause that's whats going to have to happen if you had soil). Then just add some fertilizers. What plants do you have?

moghedan 09-19-2013 04:09 PM

Add more tropicals.

Carbon900 09-19-2013 05:18 PM

Currently I'm not using any tabs or anything. Never needed to.

I'll look into fertilizers. This is what I had in mind to kind of lay on top: http://www.petland.ca/aquarium-substrate.html assuming that would eventually find it's way through the large gravel rocks.

I will be adding more tropicals. I have 100L filtration for a 55gal tank. Mostly because of the waste from the goldfish. This should allow me to bring the population pretty close to the waste level produced by those goldfish poop factories. It was a happy balance sorta. Minus the poop in the filters.

rexpepper651 09-19-2013 05:37 PM

ive heard good stuff about that and also that it doesnt work at all. its rather expensive for such a small bag. id buy some ferts and some root tabs and call it a day unless you really wish to add more substrate then that is totally up to you. a large 500ml bottle of seachem comprehensive is like 20 bucks and a pack of root tabs is 10 and the tabs last for 3-4 months and that bottle of liq ferts will last along time. but like i said its up to you if you wish to add more substrate but i dont think it will really contribute much. im still dosing ferts in my dirt tank as to some plants actually take in nutrients from the water column.

avraptorhal 09-19-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 3043578)
ive heard good stuff about that and also that it doesnt work at all. its rather expensive for such a small bag. id buy some ferts and some root tabs and call it a day unless you really wish to add more substrate then that is totally up to you. a large 500ml bottle of seachem comprehensive is like 20 bucks and a pack of root tabs is 10 and the tabs last for 3-4 months and that bottle of liq ferts will last along time. but like i said its up to you if you wish to add more substrate but i dont think it will really contribute much. im still dosing ferts in my dirt tank as to some plants actually take in nutrients from the water column.

+1^. You might want to think about liquid carbon too. When I started my first tank I was thinking about CO2 injection but stayed away from it due to the apparent finicky behavior I heard about in here and elsewhere. I had heard about Seachem's Excel and the negative aspects of it from some of the highly respected members on here. But being as stubborn as a mule I tried it. The first results seemed to reduce the brown algae on the tank walls. So I tried it again along with Seachem Comprehensive and Seachem root tabs and my plants took off. However, I used a reduced dose of both liquids and continue to do at longer interval then is recommended by Seachem. I currently call my community tank and my Betta tank my jungles in a tank.:lol:

Carbon900 09-20-2013 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware of seachem and liquid fertilizers. Never had to worry about it before, I'll definitely look into trying it this weekend.