Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Types of hardy fish??!!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/types-hardy-fish-270433/)

undertheseagirl01 09-19-2013 09:17 AM

Types of hardy fish??!!!!!

Hello there! I have a 55 gallon aquarium that is finishing up on the cycle process..currently I only have 5 male guppies and 1 female betta to help add the good bacteria. I am wanting to know what types of freshwater fish are good hardy beginner fish besides guppies/plattys/mollies??! Id like to add some unique fish into my tank. Also, what fish are good for cleaning algae besides plecos? Thank you!!

IsabellaRows 09-19-2013 05:03 PM

With a 55 gallon, there are many options for fish :)
School of tetras:
Neon Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Silver Tip Tetras
Glo Light Tetras
Black Skirt Tetras
Black Phantom Tetras
Blind Cave Tetra

Cory Catfish
Albino Cory
Spotted Cory
Peppered Cory
Emerald Cory
Panda Cory
Julli Cory, ect.

School of Danios or Rasboras
Harlequin Rasbora
Long finned Danio
Leapord Danio
Pearl Danio
Tiger Barbs
Albino Tiger Barbs
Green Tiger Barbs
(Tiger Barbs should keep to themselves in a school or 7 or more)
Cherry Barbs

Algae Eaters (Chinese, Siamese, ect.) also eat algae, but they are semi aggressive. They may attack other fish in rare cases.

You could try your hand with Gouramis, Dwarf Gouramis are peaceful and very beautiful.

undertheseagirl01 09-19-2013 05:06 PM

Thank you so much! There are so many different types of fish out there..its hard to choose!

IsabellaRows 09-19-2013 05:11 PM

Yes, it is. As long as you do research on the fish you are interested in, you may have luck with anything. I strongly suggest buying a test kit that has Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH tests, if you do not already. Some fish are more sensitive to water parameters than others.

undertheseagirl01 09-19-2013 05:22 PM

I have the tests right now. Im battleing my tank going through a mini cycle of some sorts cause I had high ammonia, got that to 0...now have more nitrites than I want. So im waiting till I get those out before I buy more fish.

IsabellaRows 09-19-2013 05:24 PM

During the Nitrogen cycle your Ammonia will spike, and then your Nitrites. You're halfway completed in the cycling process. Once you start showing Nitrates, with zero Nitrites and Ammonia, you are safe to slowly add more fish.

dave56 09-21-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undertheseagirl01 (Post 3043306)
Thank you so much! There are so many different types of fish out there..its hard to choose!

If you find the fish you like, post a list here, and we can help you with info on them!!

Aqua Hound 09-22-2013 05:45 AM

When I think of a hardy fish I'm thinkin guppies and convict cichlids haha Convicts I suggest not adding to the tank because they are very aggressive, but fun to watch especially if you get a pair cuz you will have little babies all the time :lol: As far as the nitrogen cycle goes, don't rush it and make sure you have a good test kit to measure those levels! I actually just made a video on the nitrogen cycle, so if you would like to check it out you can hit the link below. Best of luck with your tank and yes, lots of options with a big 55 gallon maybe do a planted aquascape and post some pics and vid in the future :-P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhBHxzV1jqI

undertheseagirl01 09-23-2013 04:03 PM

Aqua Hound- I love your video! very imformative!

Aqua Hound 09-23-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undertheseagirl01 (Post 3069145)
Aqua Hound- I love your video! very imformative!

Thanks I love this hobby!!! :lol: