Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   4 danios, is this normal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/4-danios-normal-2703/)

Andyandsue 01-23-2007 03:56 PM

4 danios, is this normal?

Hello.

New 3 gallon tank 2 weeks ago with 4 danios, 2 zebra, 2 gold in color. Everything is going fine, except one zebra danio is nuts! He chases the smaller one constantly. It looks like the smaller one is trying to hide and the larger one actually seeks he/she out to chase. There is no fin nipping from what I can see, but constant chasing with bumping. Is one planning on laying eggs, or is the larger one just playing tank-boss, or is it really aggressive behavior? Maybe it's normal, but it doesn't look it. Not compared to the other danios I have, but this is my first time.

I've read danios like to be kept in odd numbers, but with a 3 gallon tank I'm not sure I should be adding another.

The water readings are fine (ammonia/nitires=0 nitrates between 0-5), lights on in the AM, off in the PM. Not sure why this one is so aggressive.

Any advice is highly appreciated! I want them to be happy.

girlofgod 01-23-2007 04:30 PM

it's normal to be worried, but this is completely normal behaviour for danios. they are crazy fish! i had several and it seemed to me that they never slept, only chased each other around all the time. the more you have, the better, (depending on your tank size, you don't want to overstock)because they will establish a pecking order among themselves. hope this helps. enjoy!

bri

Andyandsue 01-23-2007 05:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. I thought it was normal, but I don't want anyone getting hurt. : ) They are quite fun to watch. We have had this tank for only 2 weeks and we are hooked (parson the pun!). I think I may be in the market soon for a larger tank and a few more fish!

I'm so glad I found this forum. Lots of information and experience here.

musho3210 01-23-2007 06:03 PM

Yes the more the merrier. I started out with 5 danios, they were happy for a week or so then they get really lazy and barely moved, except when i fed them. Then i got 2 more danios and they all got up and started playing again. I love these easiy to care for fish

Andyandsue 01-23-2007 06:56 PM

So you don't think 6 danios in a 3 gallon tank is too much? Should I keep them in odd numbers or does 5 vs. 6 not matter? I want them to be as happy as possible.

musho3210 01-23-2007 07:02 PM

yes it is too much, they grow to 2 inches, since there hardy fish i think you might be able to keep 4 in a three gallon tank but you have to be able to do daily water changes.

zen242 02-06-2007 03:42 AM

the only danio ive seen at two inches full grown was a giant.

Lupin 02-06-2007 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen242
the only danio ive seen at two inches full grown was a giant.

Giant danios are not full-grown at 2 inches. They will reach over 3-4 inches. At 2 inches, I am inclined to say they could be stunted. I, myself, had them before and most of them reach 4 inches.

lioness501 02-06-2007 05:08 AM

i have a pearl danio and hes reached his max size of 2 1/2 " over just as many years!! hes a biggun! so i think they can get bigger than 2" my leopard danio is 2" and i second wat blue says, the giant danios get large!!!!

zen242 02-06-2007 07:27 AM

I stand corrected - although the giant danio here in australia seems to have more of the characteristics of a queen danio than the giants i see on the net. Outs is a about two inches but they are only 5 months old