Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55gal Communiy Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55gal-communiy-tank-27028/)

LouzZ 08-08-2009 06:33 PM

55gal Communiy Tank

Ok so, I just got my 55gal Tank and I have my:

ID Shark, Bala Shark, Rainbow Shark, 5 Tiger Barbs, Pleco, 2 Angels and my Snail.

Everything is going fine till the moment, buut i have some questions.

1 of my Angels doesnt go out the Fake Coral and the other stays inside but he goes out sometimes. Is it that is a female?

And 2 of my Tiger Barbs are small and the other 2 are a little bit bigger and they were bought the same day and the were the same, is it that I have 2 females?

And the last question: How many times and how much should i feed them? right now im feeding them Tetra Color Tropical Granules 2 times a day: 8am and 7pm.

Any suggestions are accepted and i was thinking about adding some loachesm should they do good or what u recommend? more tiger barbs or some more angels?

Thanks ;)

Byron 08-08-2009 06:45 PM

Make sure there are plenty of hiding places for those sharks. The references I've checked all advise not keeping more than one type of shark in an aquarium because they tend to be very territorial and with any related species not just their own. Sometimes this can be lessened by having space for individual territories defined by rocks or wood.

Given the number of sharks, I would not add loaches to this community. Some loaches are also territorial and agressive, some are not, but as the sharks are known to consider any similar-looking bottom fish as an adversary, don't add to the existing problem.

The angels behaviour is probably out of fright and stress. There are fish in this environment that they do not find compatible. I realize this is your aquarium, but you've asked us for advice and combining tiger barbs and angels is going to cause trouble and stressed fish, which will lead to poor health and very likely death for the angels.

Female barbs are fuller in appearance than males, provided the fish are matured.

As for feeding, one feeding of a good prepared flake food (and sinking tabs for the bottom fish) is sufficient for good health; only fry need more feedings to grow. Feed what the fish clean up in a few minutes. Excess will only collect somewhere and pollute the water.

LouzZ 08-08-2009 07:09 PM

ok then, no loaches, and for the sharks i have a side with a Fake Coral, and the other side with rocks, is it ok? they seem to stay far enough :) and for the tigers, i think im going to set up my 10 gal tank again for the females, so when they grow up the breed with the males :) i like the look of tiger barbs. im going to talk to my neighbor and ask him if he change he's 2 tiger barbs for my 2 angels cause he was looking for some angels :)

thanks byron for your suggestions and opinions, any other would be accepted

LouzZ 08-08-2009 08:01 PM

one thing i've noticed, my Tiger Barbs are something like scratching around sometimes on the rocks, what could that be? maybe they playing or they telling me something?

1077 08-09-2009 02:54 AM

Please post numbers from water tests for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrAtes. If you don't have test kit, perhaps fish store would test your water for you. Once the test results are posted ,more help can be given.

LouzZ 08-09-2009 10:46 AM

numbers are going to be post when i get home in about 1 hour and yes i have the kit. thanks

LouzZ 08-09-2009 12:57 PM

nitrate is about 10-15 and nitrite are about 0-0.5
alkalinity is about 80, total hardness is like 75-150 and pH is around 7.2
need anything else?

aunt kymmie 08-09-2009 02:07 PM

ammonia reading??

LouzZ 08-09-2009 02:14 PM

how do i get that?

aunt kymmie 08-09-2009 02:18 PM

Your test kit should contain a test for ammonia. Which test kit do you have?