Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Will a Snowflake Eel eat a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/will-snowflake-eel-eat-watchman-goby-27011/)

BodOm 08-08-2009 04:32 AM

Will a Snowflake Eel eat a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp?

Hello, first post.

Well here is the deal, I am thinking of building a larger(above 100gal) plexiglass aquarium and I wanted to stock it with a Snowflake Eel, Watchman Goby, and a Pistol Shrimp. Perhaps a couple of ID sharks but I doubt it. Now my question is, will the eel eventually eat the Goby and/or Shrimp? How about ID sharks? I plan on buying the eel as a hatchling so it will grow with its tank mates, but I am still unsure as to if it might decide to feed on them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW does anyone know of a good online fish store in North America that stocks all of the above? Thanks in advance.

BodOm 08-08-2009 04:46 AM

Just to add some additional info, I don't have any real aquatic animal experience. I have kept several different reptiles, and mammals but that's about it. So I need advise on tank equipment and salt treating the water and such if anyone wouldn't mind advising me on that.

Pasfur 08-08-2009 07:01 AM

Can you clarify please what fish you are referring to by "ID Shark". Irridescent Shark?

BodOm 08-08-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 224389)
Can you clarify please what fish you are referring to by "ID Shark". Irridescent Shark?

Yes that is what I meant. I'm not set on having them. The eel and pistol shrimp however I want badly. More-so the eel.

EDIT - Actually just checking them out again and will they get to be 4' in captivity? If so then I guess they're not really a feasible option are they.

aunt kymmie 08-08-2009 08:42 AM

ID's are freshwater so not suitable for the saltwater environment. ;-)

BodOm 08-08-2009 10:54 AM

Alright thats out of the picture then. But how will my shrimp watchman fair with the snowflake?

Pasfur 08-08-2009 06:55 PM

Probably won't work. I would encourage you to continue researching your project before making many decisions. An aquarium of this size will be a complicated task and you want to do things right the first time. I would suggest you start by browsing the "Pictures and Videos" area of this website, looking at the build threads of successful experienced marine aquarists here on this forum. There are a lot of excellent threads, including my personal 180 build, and builds by OF2F, Austin, Wake, Cody, Kells, and many others. You will learn a ton in a short time just by watching other aquarium projects develop.

BodOm 08-08-2009 08:35 PM

Thanks.

SuperFishFan 08-12-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BodOm (Post 224456)
Alright thats out of the picture then. But how will my shrimp watchman fair with the snowflake?

Just for future reference, Snowflakes are probable in the top 5 of the hardiest/easiest Eels to maintain in a Marine Aquarium; they are not shy in any case. The main reason being, is that they eat very well in captivity and tend to eventually go after anything that'll fit into its jaws. BTW, if you go to the bookstore, the new issue (Sept '09) of Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine has a great article on keeping Moray Eels.

I agree with you though... the Watchman is one of my favorites too

zachhay11 08-13-2009 10:21 PM

top five of the easiest eels? heck, snowflakes are the easiest! for sure a great beginner fish! beautiful too, just keep in mind they can jump out of the tank if they feel like it so take precaution!