Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Is that it? Is my tank cycled?

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Andyandsue 
#1 ·
Hello-

New to fish keeping, so far we're having a good time with this. We were going to put a goldfish in a bowl and then found out how cruel that is, so we opted for a 3 gallon Eclipse tank and 4 danios. We set this up almost 2 weeks ago, adding biospira at set-up to get the cycling started.

As of today my readings are Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates= more than 0 but less than 5.

Last week we had a spike in the Nitrites to 1.0 and Nitrates to 10 at which point I got nervous about the Nitrite level and did a very small water change (2 pints) to keep the stress down. About 4 days later the Nitrites were gone and the Nitrates really low and that is how it's stayed. So is that it, are we cycled? That seemed too easy. I was prepared for much more of a struggle based on everything I've read.

Thank you for your advice!

#2 ·
Hi Andyandsue, welcome to fishkeeping and to the forum.

No two cycling tanks are the same as there are many factors involved. It is possible that your tank has cycled - judging from the fact that your nitrite readings spiked and disappeared and you now have a nitrate reading then I would say so.

Your nitrates do seem pretty low though - can I ask is the tank planted at all?

And what it the nitrate reading from the tapwater?

Katherine :)

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply and ooh, that is a good question! I just tested and the tap is 0, the water I have on standby in a jug just in case is 0, and the tank is still between 0-5.

I do have 1 small stem plant broken into 2 that Petco sold as an aquatic plant. Not sure of the variety. It looks similar to a dracena with a wider leaf. I know my tank is small, do you think that is the reason for the low Nitrates?

This went like a textbook cycling but I was worried that I made a mistake doing that small water change. I am waiting for some surprise disaster, like waking up to 4 dead danios and in turn, 2 crying children. : (

Thank you again. I really want to be successful at this. I can see us buying a larger tank in the future-We are truly enjoying our danios. It's quite an addictive hobby.

#4 ·
No probs, I hope everthing goes well for you both.

That fact that your ammonia and nitrite reading are zero is a good sign - just keep a close eye on the water parameters.

The problem with having such a small tank is that changes can happen more quickly, and if you have the means to upgrade soon you will find that the tank is easier to maintain.

You have chosen the correct fish to cycle the tank with, as zebra danios are amongst the most hardy of fish. Try to feed lightly at the moment, just until the tank is a bit more established.

Again, I wish you well - and please don't hesitate to ask questions, it's how we all learn.

:)

#6 ·
I figured since the ammonia dropped, nitrites spiked, and nitrates became detectable all at the same time that it had cycled. I'm going to keep a close eye, testing each day just in case.

Honestly since the tank at only 3 gallons is so small, I was only hoping to put maybe one or two more danio and that's it!

If we upgrade some time in the near future, I will research what else to put with danios, which by the way we all just love. They are such fun fish!

#7 ·
ahh!! stop with the thought of danios right there. They need to be in groups of at least 5. IN a tank that size i would either suggest a trio or duo of male guppies or a betta.

EDIT: im sorry, did you already have 4 danios? If you already have 4 danios i wouldnt add anymore fish since danios grow to 2 inches, thats 8 inches of fish in a 3.5 gallon tank. Although it should be fine since danios are extremly hardy, i wouldnt add anymore fish

#8 ·
Yes that is correct, we have 4 danios in the 3 gallon so I don't want to push the amount of fish. Since the tank is new and just cycled, that is the other reason there are only danios. Hence all the danio talk! : )

I will consider others when we get a larget tank. Just trying to get through the first few months so I can understand what I'm doing...

#9 ·
kateyoup said:
That fact that your ammonia and nitrite reading are zero is a good sign - just keep a close eye on the water parameters.

The problem with having such a small tank is that changes can happen more quickly, and if you have the means to upgrade soon you will find that the tank is easier to maintain.
You were right- Yesterday I removed the plant(s) & gave them a few shrimp to eat. I tested the water later last night and ammonia was 0 but nitrites were .25 and nitrate was still 0-5. I changed about 1/3 of the water and cleaned the filter a bit (I didn't have a replacement on hand, but I will from now on) and this morning we are back to normal but the nitrate reading is up closer to 5!

So the lesson learned is no live plants in a small aquarium! Thank you!

#11 ·
I'll be putting live plants back in the tank for sure, it's not that I don't want them. Not only is this a new tank, but I am new at this. I'm trying to get cycling over, to undersand what I'm doing, and I'm working with a 3 gallon tank so the changes are lightning fast. I'm testing the water 2x a day right now. So you see, it's more than inconvenience; It creates too much of a variable right now.

Once I'm confident, I'll put a plant back in. I also think I'll be getting a larger tank since I like this so much.

#12 ·
I know what you mean about wanting a bigger tank already. Within a couple of months of getting my first tank I was desperate for another, bigger tank.

The advantage is that you will have so much more choice in the variety of fish you can keep. I also find that a larger tank is much easier to maintain.

#13 ·
The larger tank will be a good idea. Makes things a lot more stable and thus enjoyable. Go for 20 gallons or more however, as a 10 gallon tank has its own inherent problems. I know there's plenty of people here that have 10 gallon tanks but IMO they arent good for much other than quarantine, temporary housing, and raising fry. Speaking of getting a larger tank I just remembered that I have a 40 gallon tank sitting in the tool room. Guess those praecox rainbowfish don't have to go afterall. I'll turn that tank into my breeding tank for them. Which will give the young angelfish that are also currently stuck in a 10 gal with them much more room.

#14 ·
Yesterday I saw algae magically appear. I researched that and decided to add back the smaller of the 2 plants (it's really small) after cleaning the gravel a bit, the plastic plants and the decorative natural rock (yes, water only). This morning, the algae doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, and my readings are PERFECT! ammonia/nitrite are 0, and nitrates are 5! Hooray!

I am definitely getting a bigger tank in the next few weeks. This is such fun! :D

#16 ·
10-20 gallon. We have the perfect spot for an aquarium, but we are limited to space the spot allows. It's in the corner of the kitchen with not much direct light, no hot/cold drafts, granite base so it's sturdy... it's perfect, but it's limited in space. Put it this way, I'm going to get the largest tank that fits in that spot, practically speaking! I don't want a tank that is 4 feet high. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.