Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Just some stuff. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/just-some-stuff-2699/)

trreherd 01-23-2007 01:47 PM

Just some stuff.

I still have a few questions before i order the last amount of stuff i need for my tank.
Do i need a hood? What kind? will the hood effect my lighing?
Do i need a powerhead? were should i position in? how much flow?

usmc121581 01-23-2007 02:02 PM

Re: Just some stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trreherd
I still have a few questions before i order the last amount of stuff i need for my tank.
Do i need a hood? What kind? will the hood effect my lighing?
Do i need a powerhead? were should i position in? how much flow?

I never have had a glass top or canay on my tank till I got the MH lighting. Then I had to build one for the tank.

Yes you should have powerheads. They produce the current in the tank. If I remember right its good to go for at least 20% of the tanks volume. In gallons/hr. I have 4 power heads 2 are placed in side the rock strutare and 2 are placed in the top corners of the tank. But placement is all up to the owner and how he likes it.

caferacermike 01-23-2007 04:50 PM

Your tank looks sweet man. If you can get a little canopy that covers the lighting or that you can screw the fixture to you'll not have to stare at the excess lighting. A small canopy will also help fish from jumping out of a small tank. I wouldn't put glass over the tank because it will reflect back usable light. My canopy only has 3 sides. The back is open so that heat can escape. No top either. Just 3 pieces of matching wood about 6" tall. My lighting hangs inside of the trim.

trreherd 01-23-2007 05:57 PM

So your saying i should make one of them boxes to go on top of my tank? Not sure how to go about it. cause i still need to have good access to my tank for feeding and such.

usmc121581 01-23-2007 06:28 PM

I took 6"wide pre treated wood and made a box just bigger then the tank. And put the front piece on 2 hinges so I could feed the fish.

trreherd 01-23-2007 07:58 PM

The problem im having with this is that my light fixture is slightly longer than my tank so it would not fit in a canopy. Does anyone have any soutions?Could i get fish that are not jumper?

trreherd 01-23-2007 08:54 PM

Oh ya and im still haveing trouble getting a local dealer of argonite sand and good salt. I dont want to order online cause the shipping. How can i locate a local dealer? if i now someone who is tering down a tank can i use there sand? If i rinse it.

bettababy 01-23-2007 10:41 PM

I wouldn't use someone else's sand. Get the name and tech support or customer service phone number from the company that makes the sand. I'm sure if you let us know what brand you are after, someone here would have that info on one of their containers/bags of salt and sand.... call the company and ask them where you can purchase their product, they will have a list of retailers closest to you.

trreherd 01-24-2007 05:37 PM

My dad is going to get me a peice of plexi-glass from his freind and im gunna make the canopy out of that!!
and y cant i use the used sand? if i rinse it?

caferacermike 01-24-2007 08:32 PM

Some folks say not to use it because it is full of waste. I say rinse it very well in tap water. Save a few cups of it and rinse the rest until very clean. I mean, and I've said this before, SAND does not go bad. Once you remove the particulate matter then it is clean sand again. Put it in the tank with a touch of chlorine remover and then add the few cups that you saved to "seed" the sand bed with microfauna again.

Here in Austin we are very earth friendly. Nobody just tosses out old aragonite around here. We may remove it from a tank and put the bucket on the back porch, but it will always end back up in somebody elses tank. I see buckets traded back and forth all the time.