Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   New 75g planted Angelfish tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/new-75g-planted-angelfish-tank-26950/)

artgalnj 08-06-2009 05:19 PM

New 75g planted Angelfish tank

2 Attachment(s)
Hi. I started my new 75g tank a few weeks ago. It's planted with various swords, crypts & Hygros, and I've added some driftwood and rocks. This is my first planted aquarium, so be gentle with me...I'm still learning. The plants are growing well and the angelfish seem happy. I had a 20g tank that was sad (fake plants and the tank was too small for angelfish), so this is my "movin on up" tank. I know there's always room for improvement so as I get better at aquascaping, perhaps I can make my tank look nicer.

Amphitrite 08-06-2009 05:32 PM

Well for a first planted aquarium it looks awesome! You've done a fantastic job with the aquascaping, and I think it'll look really natural once the plants start to grow in more.

Lovely tank!

jeaninel 08-06-2009 05:36 PM

I agree. That's a great start and it will look even better once the plants start to grow and fill in. Nice job!

Twistersmom 08-06-2009 05:36 PM

Fantastic!!!
The tank looks great! I am sure the Angle Fish are going to enjoy their new home!

artgalnj 08-07-2009 06:53 AM

Wow, thank you for the kind words! I know it's not the most "wowing" effect, but I'm considering this tank a work in progess. Just to have plants that actually grow has been encouraging. Everything in my 20g died, so I had fake plastic plants. Trust me, this tank is an improvment over where my fish came from.
Art

aunt kymmie 08-07-2009 10:48 AM

Art- I disagree with you...your tank is "wowing". I love it! You've done a great job. I hope you'll keep us updated w/ pics as the plants begin filling in.
What kind of lighting do you have on this tank? Are you doing anything special as far as ferts? What did you do with your 20gl? :-)

artgalnj 08-07-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 224058)
What did you do with your 20gl? :-)

LOL!!! You are a true aquarist at heart.

I promised hubby that the 20g would be broken down (we currently have both tanks in our home office). Right now I'm still running my filter and dosing daily w/ ammonia so that the bacteria doesn't die off. ;-) The light on that tank is 3 wpg (which is why nothing would grow in there without CO2, I didn't know any better when I bought the light) and I'm kinda looking at it thinking "hmmm, that tank may have some new potential". Of course I haven't mentioned this to my hubby yet. My son thinks I've gone off the deep end...along with the fish.

As for ferts, I am dosing w/ trace elements and root tabs under the swords & crypts. I have 3 fluorescent fixtures (I bought 3 seperate fixtures so that I could interchange different bulbs per fixture) from Catalina Aquarium, which is FANTASTIC company to work with! I will definetly purchase from them again when I upgrade my lighting in the future. 2 fixtures have T8 bulbs @ 32w each and one fixture has a T12 bulb @ 40w. So far things are growing in nicely and even the Red Flame Sword has red leaves.

Thank you again for your truly kind words and encouragement. I will definetly share photos as the tank progresses and as my aquascaping progresses. I'm an artist by trade so I feel I should be better at this than I am.

jeaninel 08-07-2009 09:53 PM

Quote: I promised hubby that the 20g would be broken down

Oh, my...that sounds so familiar! I said the same thing when I upgraded from my 20 gallon to 55 gallon. I sold the 20 gallon and later regretted it, wishing I had saved it for a QT/hospital tank. I also got hit with a bad case of MTS and so now here I am working on my 6th tank! So you may just want to hang onto that 20. LOL

dramaqueen 08-07-2009 10:01 PM

Beautiful tank!!

artgalnj 08-08-2009 07:10 AM

jeaninel, I am definietly not getting rid of the 20g, but I do need to move it so that I can finish painting the wall back there. I also have a 10g qt tank and I have the filter for that tank running on my 75g all the time (this way it's biologically ready if I ever need it). I have a breeding pair of angelfish, so MAYBE I'll try to raise fry in that tank just one time, I'm not really into the whole breeding thing. Eventually, I would like to try my hand at harder plants and CO2...put it to you this way, I'm already collecting driftwood!
dramaqueen, ty for the compliment.