Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Dragon Goby/Black Ghost Knife - Questions and Compatability (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/dragon-goby-black-ghost-knife-questions-26949/)

Zombie 08-06-2009 06:11 PM

Dragon Goby/Black Ghost Knife - Questions and Compatability

How would a BGK and DG do together? The tank is 145g and they will be the only inhabitants at the moment. Can Hatchets, Needles and/or leafs be kept with these fish? I want to keep the Hatchets/Needles down to bear minimum if they can be kept with them. What foods will these fish live healthy lives on? I will be breeding Mollies Guppies and Platies by the time I get them, so they /will/ have fry to eat. I also have the foods I photographed here: Dork of the Century - Food I can purchase whatever else I need in addition to that, too. Other information is welcome on these species.

Yours truely,
Zombie

Twistersmom 08-06-2009 06:56 PM

The dragon goby really needs brackish water to live a long healthy life.
I believe the ghost knife prefers fresh water.
If you decide to go brackish, I have a dragon fish that is doing very well and would be glad to offer advice, but I would not buy a dragon goby and keep it in fresh water.

Zombie 08-06-2009 07:40 PM

It will most likely be a brackish tank. I also would like to know about the upkeep and setting up of a brackish tank.now, I'd BGKs are strictly freshwater, is there a way I could keep it freshwater but make sure the dragon gets proper care?

Twistersmom 08-06-2009 08:08 PM

I have not kept BGKs, so I will not advice.
Dragon gobys are brackish fish,they will live short term in fresh water, but are susceptible to many diseases if kept in fresh water for to long term.
I keep my dragon goby in brackish water of .005, you will need a hydrometer or refractometer to test salt levels.
Dragon gobies will do well on a diet of bloodworms, blackworms, shrimp, algae wafers, and snail jello.

I don't think you would be able to keep the BGK and the Dragon goby together long term, but there are other brackish fish that would do well with the dragon goby in that size tank.

Zombie 08-06-2009 08:17 PM

How short is short life? O.o;;

Twistersmom 08-06-2009 09:52 PM

They can live 10 yrs in brackish, all depends on when an incurable disease will hit them in fresh water.

Zombie 08-06-2009 09:59 PM

Hmm. How would hatchets/needles/leads do with a DG?

Twistersmom 08-06-2009 10:19 PM

Dragon gobys are very peaceful and will do well with any fish that will not harm them, but all the fish you have named, prefer fresh water.

Zombie 08-06-2009 11:03 PM

Okay. Thank you. I've completely ditched all stocking and turned down the 145 thank you for all your help, though. I've decided on ditching the breeding other than for my oscar. I'm sorry to be a bother.