Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I am new to this and I have no idea what to do and what I need to start my tank

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BWG 
#1 ·
This is what i have.A 25 gallon Octagon tank , filter that hangs over the back, heater, stick on thermometer, 25 pounds of gravel, light and hood ,tropical fish flakes, siphoning hose, a ornamental log. A friend is going to give me 3 gold mystery snails. My tank is set up and running (4 days) I want to get something like the black widow tetra I saw them at the pet store and like them. Please help me. Do I put salt in the water? I know the fish I want are not saltwater fish but some sites say to put some salt in the water. Do I need to put a air pump in the water? The tank is in a corner no window around it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Study up on the nitrogen cycle before you add fish. Save you and your fish a hard time. Basics- Fish exhale and excrete pure ammonia, which will kill them in short order. With an ammonia source , bacteria will grow that makes the water safe. Ask here if you have questions.

#3 ·
I would recommend you try a planted tank.

my .02

#4 ·
Hi and welcome to Tropical fish Keeping,

As marshallsea has said you need to learn how the nitrogen cycle works so you can cycle the tank before adding fish (the preferred method). Here is a an article that explains a little.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...nners-guide-freshwater-aquarium-cycle-213418/

Here is one on the Bactria in the aquarium if you want to read a lil more on them. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-general-articles/bacteria-freshwater-aquarium-185721/
If you want to do live plants we can explain that too and it is easier then one my think. The plants do some much for the health of the tanks and the fish in them. Is your choice and your tank. So you can any direction and we will be here to help you along the way if you have questions.

#12 · (Edited)
A lot of it depends on the fish you intend to keep....

Also if you don't go planted then you will need an air pump and a air stone in the tank.
My tanks are not planted and I do not own a single air pump/stone. Never have, never will.

#6 ·
First, you need to give the tank at least 4 weeks prior to putting fish in. The snails won't hurt anything, they might not be so thrilled as I don't recommend feeding them. As or an air pump, that depends on the type of filter you have hanging on the back? Does it over flow or is it submerged with little water bubble up? If it doesn't over flow, yes an air pump and sponge filter would work fine.

If you go planted, no salt that simple. If plants are your thing, stick with the easy ones at first. Hornwart is easy and a couple of strands weighted by the log would look really nice. Java moss is another easy one.

As for salt, not sure what the issue was with the one post. I use salt on livebearers and they actually do better that way. Salt is not good for snails, mine tolerate it. Other Inverts don't tolerate salt and cory cats hate the stuff. I suggest reading up on the fish that interest you. You can always ask here and people will tell you how to maintain specific fish. DON'T ASK THE DORKS AT THE PET STORE! That is unless you like buying new fish every few weeks.

#10 ·
Regardless of the cycling method or plantings, you'll want to have a bottle of Seachem Prime water conditioner. This product handles chlorine/chloramine, neutralizes heavy metals and detoxifies ammonia. Inexpensive (because it's concentrated) and effective, especially in a new tank. Prime is your friend.

#11 ·
IMHO a lot of the wait 4 weeks before fish, add prime, or chemicals, do water changes and so on are function of what method is used to setup and marintain the tank.

With "my" planted method I add fish 1 week ofter initial setup, do no water changes, use no chemcials and use no mechanical filtration or circulation.

And with live bearers I have a tankful of fish 6 months later.

And the fish even the fist fish show no signes of stress and are active.

So a lot depends on how you setup and maintain the tank.

But as usual that's just my

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.