Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Help with Identification please... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-identification-please-26919/)

SubAtomicScope 08-06-2009 12:02 AM

Help with Identification please...

5 Attachment(s)
]I have a few different variations of platies in my tank but cannot seem to ID them all. Attached are some Pic's together with what I THINK they might be, where possible (Oh, and do ANY of the females look pregnant to you?)

Attachment 3081
I am not sure if this on is a Platy or a Molly...

Attachment 3082
Neon Blue Platy?

Attachment 3083
No Idea???

Attachment 3084
Again, no idea?

Attachment 3085
Some type of Red Blacktail or Blacktail Red Platy...LOL

I have one or 2 ore but the seem to e a little more camera shy...when I can catch them off gaurd I will post them.
Thanks

MonsiuerPercy1 08-06-2009 07:23 AM

The first one looks like a molly and besides that all the others look to be platies. Specifically I cannot tell you the name, but at least you know the species.

DragonFish 08-06-2009 10:53 AM

Goodness, you've got yourself some gorgeous fish there, wonderful pictures. What type of camera do you use?
I'm pretty sure the last one is a Red Wagtail Platy, and the first is a Balloon Molly, but I'm not the most knowledgeable in the different strains and colors...
I'll skim google and see what I can come up with for you :-)

aunt kymmie 08-06-2009 03:42 PM

I agree, nice clear shots. What's the camera and settings? I wish I could take pictures that well.
:nicefish:

SubAtomicScope 08-07-2009 02:50 AM

Why is it that everybody thinks good pictures must be from a good camera, what about the photographer...:-D...only kidding...photography is my other hobby.
I use a Canon 400D Digital SLR camera with the standard 18-55 lens, and alot of patience.
Of the 20 - 30 pictures I took only about 8 of them were worth using. I then went into photoshop and cropped out the fish in question...

DragonFish 08-07-2009 10:55 AM

Oooooooh, fellow Photographer :-D I must say I fail in comparison however :oops: If I could only afford a new camera......:lol: Maybe I just need to read more....
Haha, it seems to always be that way....for every 10-20 pictures only one is acceptable. A little frustrating, but I think its worth it ;-)

SubAtomicScope 08-07-2009 02:57 PM

Fustrating indeed, but can you imagine doing it before the discovery of DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY...How many expensice 35mm film rolls would you gp though to get THE ONE shot worth keeping...:shock:

DragonFish 08-07-2009 03:10 PM

Ugh, I know! I don't think I'd be able to deal with that :shock: My dad talks about it a lot, photography was his hobby in High School, before they had digital stuff. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to develop a roll of film and find, like, nothing good on it....

SubAtomicScope 08-10-2009 02:48 AM

Thanks for the compliments about the pictures, and thanks to those that replied